Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a beginner you may be better served concentrating on some fundamental skills rather than air consumption. Most beginners carry way too much lead. It’s important to be properly weighted with minimal air in your BC at depth. Work on your trim and position in the water column (without fiddling with your BC inflator). Slow down. Focus on the dive and your surroundings. Most beginners are easily distracted. Moreover, they are in perpetual motion with bicycling legs, flailing arms, waving hands and pivoting heads. Be calm, relaxed and in control. By default, addressing these basic skills will improve your air consumption. Unfortunately, I was completely oblivious as a newbie. You can concentrate on breathing more effectively, deeply and efficiently AFTER you become a more experienced and confident diver. Good luck!

I agree completely, I was actually under-waited for this dive in a full 7mm, hood, gloves. I used zero air in my BC the entire dive and I was neutral at the start, but positive at the end (AL tank) with 14lbs in a hydros. My main focus is trim, finning techniques, and controlling subtle changes in depth (rocks, structures, etc...) with my breathing. On this dive I was doing frog kick only, with as little movement as possible with the exception of a few times I had to adjust the reel the dive flag was on.

I am actually discussing with my LDS to exchange the hydros for a diverite plate and harness, and seeing if they can get an oxycheq wing. Next plan is GUE Fundamentals so I need to build towards that and get more dives in. Before the end of the month I'll have my nitrox as well.

I agree completely, I was actually under-waited for this dive in a full 7mm, hood, gloves. I used zero air in my BC the entire dive and I was neutral at the start, but positive at the end (AL tank) with 14lbs in a hydros. My main focus is trim, finning techniques, and controlling subtle changes in depth (rocks, structures, etc...) with my breathing. On this dive I was doing frog kick only, with as little movement as possible with the exception of a few times I had to adjust the reel the dive flag was on.

I am actually discussing with my LDS to exchange the hydros for a diverite plate and harness, and seeing if they can get an oxycheq wing. Next plan is GUE Fundamentals so I need to build towards that and get more dives in. Before the end of the month I'll have my nitrox as well.

Your understanding is very impressive. You’ve either had a great instructor, done your homework, have a knowledgeable mentor or all of the above, because you are wise beyond your years.

Your understanding is very impressive. You’ve either had a great instructor, done your homework, have a knowledgeable mentor or all of the above, because you are wise beyond your years.

Lots and lot of reading on here, as well as other external sites. So far my biggest oops was committing to a bp/w and buying the hydros anyway...

I appreciate the compliment greatly.

Lots and lot of reading on here, as well as other external sites. So far my biggest oops was committing to a bp/w and buying the hydros anyway...

I appreciate the compliment greatly.

You appear to have hit all the SB touch points but I can’t help but wonder if you are trying to please everyone but the most important person, yourself. Dive because you love it; not because it makes someone else happy.

If YOUR goal is to dive in a cave or pursue tech diving then good for you, enjoy your journey. If not don’t switch to tech gear because an online community convinced you it is the right way. 99 percent of the world dives in jacket style BCs, uses alternate donate, and never goes deeper than 130 ft and that is perfectly fine if that is what brings the fulfillment. .

You appear to have hit all the SB touch points but I can’t help but wonder if you are trying to please everyone but the most important person, yourself. Dive because you love it; not because it makes someone else happy.

If YOUR goal is to dive in a cave or pursue tech diving then good for you, enjoy your journey. If not don’t switch to tech gear because an online community convinced you it is the right way. 99 percent of the world dives in jacket style BCs, uses alternate donate, and never goes deeper than 130 ft and that is perfectly fine if that is what brings the fulfillment. .

Not at all. I enjoy the learning just as much as I do the practice. I'd rather do my best to learn once than have to do with re-learning everything or fixing bad habits later. Not necessarily caves, but deep wrecks have a lot of appeal to me (even more so because 99% of the world will never see what I will hopefully be able to see one day).

For a 5th dive I think this is fantastic!! Especially at 56 degrees. Way to go!

It would be nice if building gardens rocks weighed the same as underwater rocks

Dive a steel Faber 100cft

I have a feeling you're going to do just fine. You're an active learner and able to observe and evaluate what's happening.

Just relax during the dive, try not to fiddle with things more than you need to, try to keep your hands as still as you can, and your feet calm. More dives will work wonders to help your breathing be more efficient.

Regarding your weighting, just add about 2 lbs or 1 kg at first and see how you are at the end of the dive. Ensure all air is out of your BCD at your last stop. You could ask someone to carry another 2 lbs for you on your next dive in case you need them.

Have fun on your journey... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom