Failure of back-plate single tank adapter (Bolts)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m sure the wing nuts just loosened up on you. If your not going to be swapping wings, just replace the wing nuts with SS Nyloc nuts.

The only time I have seen movement with the HOG wing on the plate is when the wrong slots are used to run the cam bands through. They need to go through the ones closest to the center of the plate. NOT the ones outside of those. The outside slots are actually not even necessary on the plate.

johndiver999, my hog SS BP has slots and what you suggested is one I'm thinking on trying

The Hog Wing has tank two bars on it that act like a sta, yet not enough as my tank moves around with out the STA.
The only time I have seen movement of the tank with the HOG wing on the plate is when the wrong slots are used to run the cam bands through. They need to go through the ones closest to the center of the plate. NOT the ones outside of those. The outside slots are actually not even necessary on the plate. Using the ones closest to the center creates more of a "V" that with the ribs on the wing, hold the tank secure.
I have two HOG wings on a steel plate and a soft pack. Properly strung and tightened, the cylinder doesn't move.

Tank stabilisers are made from a longitudinal slice of rubber hose and a length of bungee
flim flam at the best, and stabilisers not utilising the plate slots, are defeating the purpose

?? E.g. these: Soft Single Tank Adaptor (STA) with Book Screws are hard plastic tubes. "Built-in" ones tend to be flimsier, but they're not there to hold the tank, only to keep it straight while you're tightening the cambands.

(Note to self: must stop by the hardware store and pick up a few nylocks for the bolts that came with Eric's plate -- the ones have are metric and don't fit.)

dmaziuk, my hog gear wing has something similar, yet the tank would float side to side from time to time.

locking wing nuts up next.

Thank you to all who have commented.

Have to add that one to my pre-dive check list slate.

Think it should be part of a "buddy check"?

:rofl3:

I routinely use a STA. I have had wings nuts come loose several times - when I failed to check their tightness before a dive. In each case, that was user error on my part, not equipment failure. In each case, I sensed there was a problem simply because the cylinder seemed to 'swing' from side to side during the dive. On one occasion, I even executed that OW skill that some divers suggest is completely unnecessary - I removed the scuba unit underwater (at 110 feet), tightened the wing nuts, re-donned the scuba unit, and continued the (otherwise uneventful) dive.

Yep, can not say that this was not user error.

I do not dis-assemble the back-plate/wing/sta with every trip.
New SOP at the min is to go through the bolts if I stay with the STA...

Thank you for your comments

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom