Long Hose As Backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know multiple people who use their necklace regulator as their primary and stow the long hose regulator as backup for air sharing. I know they are wrong, but I can never convince them they are wrong. Please give me more ammunition to convince them. Thanks.

Alternatively, please suggest ways to make their clipped off long hose regulator easier to "break away" in case I am ever out of air and diving with these miscreants. Does the Dive Rite "hose clip retainer" work for breakaway as DGX advertises?

You can imagine a 2.1m octopus. Would you clip off a 1m octopus? I suggest the issue is not hose length but using a clip rather than a regular octopus holder.

If they can demonstrate proper air switching does it matter? It's not standard but doesn't mean it's bad if the buddy team have practiced on it.

Maybe they have a great way of routing the long hose secondary.

In the end there's enough differences in open water that correcting this doesn't help. Best to understand what your buddy does and make sure it will work for you.

I know multiple people who use their necklace regulator as their primary and stow the long hose regulator as backup for air sharing. I know they are wrong, but I can never convince them they are wrong. Please give me more ammunition to convince them. Thanks.

Alternatively, please suggest ways to make their clipped off long hose regulator easier to "break away" in case I am ever out of air and diving with these miscreants. Does the Dive Rite "hose clip retainer" work for breakaway as DGX advertises?
There is nothing right or wrong here unless you are doing certain diving courses from certain agencies.

Please give me more ammunition to convince them.
In diving, there is a lot that is a matter of personal preference, and less that is 'wrong'.

I have no clue why someone would do what you have described - configure their regulator with a long hose, and then not use it as their primary. But, that is their choice, and I wouldn't tell them it is 'wrong'. What it does do is a) completely remove the benefit of 'primary donate', that is giving an OOA diver a second stage that you KNOW is working, and b) unnecessarily introduce a 'failure point' - a possibly slower / more difficult deployment of an Alternate Air Source to an OOA diver.

The good news - OOA situations are uncommon, on an absolute incidence basis, although LOA / OOA situations remain the leading cause of diver deaths.

Do what YOU believe to be best, do it well, and ensure, to the extent possible, that YOU are self-reliant and not dependent on a buddy using a gear configuration about which you have a concern. Trying to change them may well strengthen their adherence to their opinion, rather than weaken it (the backfire effect)

In diving, there is a lot that is a matter of personal preference, and less that is 'wrong'.

I have no clue why someone would do what you have described - configure their regulator with a long hose, and then not use it as their primary. But, that is their choice, and I wouldn't tell them it is 'wrong'. What it does do is a) completely remove the benefit of 'primary donate', that is giving an OOA diver a second stage that you KNOW is working, and b) unnecessarily introduce a 'failure point' - a possibly slower / more difficult deployment of an Alternate Air Source to an OOA diver.

The good news - OOA situations are uncommon, on an absolute incidence basis, although LOA / OOA situations remain the leading cause of diver deaths.

Do what YOU believe to be best, do it well, and ensure, to the extent possible, that YOU are self-reliant and not dependent on a buddy using a gear configuration about which you have a concern. Trying to change them may well strengthen their adherence to their opinion, rather than weaken it (the backfire effect)
Makes sense, as Joybell C said:
“Choose your battles wisely. After all, life isn't measured by how many times you stood up to fight. It's not winning battles that makes you happy, but it's how many times you turned away and chose to look into a better direction. Life is too short to spend it on warring. Fight only the most, most, most important ones, let the rest go.”

There is nothing right or wrong here unless you are doing certain diving courses from certain agencies.

Wasn't the use of a long hose/primary donate advocated by Sheck Exley in A Blueprint for Survival? I say that simply because I don't think it's tied to any specific course or agency.

Wasn't the use of a long hose/primary donate advocated by Sheck Exley in A Blueprint for Survival? I say that simply because I don't think it's tied to any specific course or agency.
Some agencies have a (sometimes strong) view on it.

Perhaps, although I'm just not sure that's relevant to this discussion.
I agree it’s becoming off-topic, I was only replying to your comment in regards to the comment you were replying to.

Back
Top Bottom