Long Hose As Backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure that makes sense. Arguably it's a hacky solution at best, however.

What's their reason for not doing it the same way as everyone else?

The reasons I have heard are:

1. They like how the necklace prevents the short hose regulator from being knocked far out of their mouths.
2. They don't like wrapping the long hose around their neck and body.

They like how the necklace prevents the short hose regulator from being knocked far out of their mouths.
IOW, they don't know how to do a proper reg recovery. Remedial training required.

They don't like wrapping the long hose around their neck and body.
and their problem with that is... what?

Sure, you can grab it, but it'll be clipped off!

Yup when I'm not breathing from long hose its clipped off on right chest. But with a breakaway clip.

0004798_razor-break-away-connector.jpg razor_break_away_connector.jpg

where does the long hose go? Stuffed into some bungees wrapped around one of the backgas tanks?

where does the long hose go? Stuffed into some bungees wrapped around one of the backgas tanks?

Yes. Sidemount it will be on right tank, with hose routed from tank across check to behind neck (left to right). Either in mouth or clipped off right chest.

For my config, if its I'm my mouth I give it. If its clipped I yank it off the breakaway and donate.

. . .
2. They don't like wrapping the long hose around their neck and body.

This sounds like someone who has not given it a serious try to get comfortable with it. Sure, it takes quite a few dives before it starts to feel "normal"--like any other way would no longer feel "right." I don't even think of it as "wrapping around" my neck OR body. Rather, I would say the long hose "drapes" across my back, then drapes back across my chest, then makes a turn behind my head. In my mind, there is no "wrapping."

But I suppose it is no use trying to convince or persuade people. If you're getting into cave/tech diving, I'm afraid you will simply want to avoid diving with people who don't dive the way you do.

Yes. Sidemount it will be on right tank, with hose routed from tank across check to behind neck (left to right). Either in mouth or clipped off right chest.

For my config, if its I'm my mouth I give it. If its clipped I yank it off the breakaway and donate.

One guy I dive with does exactly that... bungee cord holding it looped a few times on the side of his right tank (back doubles). Another loops it a couple of times and stuffs the loop through their right waist strap D ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom