Best time to dive Morehead City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Love

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone dove Morehead City in November? I have a load of frequent flyer miles that I need to use before 2021 and was thinking about going next month. I've read that summer months are probably best for vis but are also more crowded and hot. Basically, I am wondering if I should go now or wait till summer and get the full experience! Also if anyone has any great winter dive destination suggestions let me know!! Thanks!

November can be nice, but the water temps definitely start to cool a bit. You'll probably need at least a 5 mil wetsuit and hood. The weather is also more unpredictable than in the summer. You can get blown out anytime, but it's more likely this time of year. Just one more thing to consider, I had a trip cancelled a week ago due to the viz being zero offshore. Apparently things are still stirred up after hurricane Dorian. I would expect things to be clearing up by now, but it might be best to check with Olympus before you actually make the trip.

Best would probably be mid July to mid August. But i have been canceled in that time frame.

Thanks guys. I'm also welcome to any suggestions for winter diving outside of Playa Del Carmen and Florida if anyone has anything for me!

I'm a huge fan of Pura Vida Divers (Riviera Beach) and Pompano Dive Center (Pompano). Riviera probably has a better reef system and Pompano has more available in the wreck department. Both are top notch dive centers.

You'll be fine in Novemeber or even December in a 5 mm wetsuit (at least under the water). Between dives is a different story on the boat, make sure you have some type of boat coat to wrap up in. I dove either first weekend of March or last weekend of Feb. out of Wilmington last year and was fine in a 7 mm - our boat had two divers in 7 mm and 4 in drysuits.

I went out with Atlantis Charters the weekend before last (Oct 26), water temp was 78 and 60' viz at 100' on the Box Wreck, was fantastic.

3mm and no hood

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom