Sorry but APEKS XTX50 or Atomic Z3??? Help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend to get the Z2 not the Z3 since the only difference is the overpriced second stage hose swivel that is permanently attached to the hose. You should buy a Z2 and buy a third party swivel and you will save lots of $$. I'd also buy a sealed Z2 first stage.

I came into this thread to post the exact same thing.

There is no good reason to go with the z3 over the z2 when you can swap out for a non proprietary hose/swivel for a lot cheaper than the atomic specific hose that makes up the difference between the z2 and z3.

I have the Z2 and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I'm sure the Apeks is fine also.

Another vote for the Atomic Z2 (not the Z3). Get the sealed version. Get a 2nd Z2 2nd stage for your octo. If you want a swivel, buy the $25 one from Cave Adventurers. Be happy. :)

As for buying Huish stuff, I've place 3 orders with Huish in the last few months and everything has shipped promptly. There have been, I think, 3 items on back order (out of, I don't know, 50 - 60 items ordered?) and even those came in and were shipped within a week or so of the order. Those orders have spanned most of the Huish brands - Atomic, Bare, Stahlsac, Hollis, Oceanic, and, I think, Suunto.

As far as servicing Atomic regs goes, it's like somebody else said - if you're going to have them serviced by an authorized Atomic shop/tech, I can't really see it being a problem.

I dive quite a few atomics myself, and currently don't own Apeks, but I have used enough. Looking at OP's usage, I would say Apeks DST/XTX50/XT50. The decision is not performance at all. In fact, I don't think anyone can tell the difference in blind test. I do think Apeks has better world wide support in SE Asia in case you need them to be checked or work on.

I've been waiting for some G250V air barrels for coming on three months. And before that had to wait coming on 2 months for current production model orifices. I have no idea how they are organizing parts inventory but it's ridiculous.

I can't speak to Atomic specifically as I am not a dealer but getting parts for Huish's Oceanic and Zeagle brands is a nightmare. I am thinking specifically of getting replacements for their notorious disintegrating purge covers, an issue I have also seen on Atomics.

Back
Top Bottom