"Observations show an average 260 touches per one hour dive for a party of four."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting.... that was some wicket current on my checkout dive! I have only spent one day on Coz - there wasn't a checkout dive, sorry.
Yeah, I have heard the people talking about terrible current on their first dive there.

There are a couple springs that require first-time visitors to watch a video before diving.

A video could be placed on-line that visitors could be required to watch.

Yeah, I have heard the people talking about terrible current on their first dive there.

It wasn't quite like diving in the Puget Sound, but it was certainly respectable. Getting shots without grabbing coral wasn't possible. It was about as stiff as my first drift dive where the DM decided he's never going to deploy a dive flag while on a drift dive again (this was in a class right before I went to PDC/Cozumel).

Money IS involved. Dive op money. That's why you seldom see this because the diver would just take their dollars elsewhere. I do think the "tornado with fins" needs to be sat out but if you get a rep for doing this too aggressively then you'll get less bookings. Many divers are not very skilled divers but not obnoxious divers either. Most need a little education and encouragement not chastising and punishment.

Personally, I'd be happy to have a DM give me pointers on buoyancy, fin technique, etc. (subject to the style & delivery of said critique). In another context that's called a class or private instruction. I'm also happy when I see a DM providing that kind of guidance to others (thinking back to an interaction between a DM from Aldora and someone from another shop who was using a stick to anchor themselves). Would I pay extra? Nope (cause I'm cheap). Would that kind of situational awareness, respect for the environment, character, and ability to deliver a teachable lesson in a respectful manner positively influence my choice of operation and location? Yes, absolutely.

So, maybe it is all about money, but don't assume that loosing "torpedo fins" as a customer won't be somewhat offset by gaining the loyalty & repeat business of other customers.

"First, the reef is stressed by divers. Observations show an average 260 touches per one hour dive for a party of four."
That sounds like it could be a lot of fun. A party of four, you say?

Oh.

Wait.

You meant touching the reef. Sorry, my bad.

Did you read the part about required specialty training to even be allowed on the reef? Mandated by law, not by the operator.
I wouldn't have a problem with it if divers could test out of it.

Interesting.... that was some wicket current on my checkout dive! I have only spent one day on Coz - there wasn't a checkout dive, sorry.
I think that what BRT meant was the first dive you do with a new operator is a checkout dive. The DMs watch divers that they don't know to see how they handle themselves in the water.

I think that what BRT meant was the first dive you do with a new operator is a checkout dive. The DMs watch divers that they don't know to see how they handle themselves in the water.

If they switched around dives 1 & 2, I'd concede the point. In my limited experience of just one day, we went on a drift dive with a respectable current (you would work really hard to stay in place and you'd blow through a lot of gas doing so) down to 80 feet and we all went through a swim through single file. That wasn't a checkout dive. The second dive was much lazier, 45 feet or so, for a lot longer with a much milder current (you could easily fin against it).

"First, the reef is stressed by divers. Observations show an average 260 touches per one hour dive for a party of four."

I read this quote in a Facebook "Cozumel 4 U" thread. I tried to ask for a link (source) but a moderator closed the thread for comments. Cozumel 4 You

Does anyone have any FACTUAL evidence to corroborate this claim? (link?) Lot's of hyperbole in the FB thread. Slim on facts.

I'd like to meet the diver(s) that did the counting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom