Lake Phoenix Dive Report - Oct 5th & 6th 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hit up the ol' Phoenix with StuartV and Jeremy Williams.

What an awesome weekend.

5 mil wetsuit and 1 mil gloves, no hood. Good to 35 feet for long periods of time. Dipped to 51ft or so. Don't have computer for exact numbers with me and haven't downloaded.

The point where you're at the bottom of the helo and you look over... then up... and see the surface ripples clearly. 31ft straight to surface, so probably 40ft viz? Amazing. Visibility was really good in a lot of areas. Perhaps due to lower number of visitors, but I noticed a pump running creating a waterfall near the Replacements boats, not sure if that is some mechanism to help. Sounds nice, that's for sure.

Camped overnight. Good times.

High five to Stuart and Jeremy for a great weekend.

Did not win anything in the vendor days raffle but entered to support DAN more than anything.

Someone from 418 scuba in Hampton VA chatted for a minute or two, new tech shop in Hampton VA -- my old stomping ground before I moved North. Cool that there are tech focused shops happening down there.

Good times.

Good times.

I had around 77F in the 35-ish ft zone above the first thermocline. Low temp I got was 64-ish in the 50 ft range but I'm not even sure if I was down there long enough for the Shearwater to get all the way to ambient coldness. I was pretty uncomfortable at that depth without a hood and gloves.

Name drop for David Sowers and his dive shop '418' in the Hampton area... https://www.418divetrainingcenter.com/

I will also note that we swam all the way out to the "dive shop van" on the right (southwest?) end of the quarry. There were tons of small (1" or less) fish under the front end of the van. It was pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom