Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For new divers, I think even the process of gearing up and getting in the water for five minutes has some benefit.

The prep, gearing up, getting in/out, successfully going thru the motions of diving. It still involves planning and effort.

My wife and I did a short dive and she wanted to know if she should count it. I told her yes.

Sure, we could have stayed for a few more minutes to make it official, but what would she learn in that extra time that she didn’t learn otherwise?

Diving is about learning, but it’s also about building confidence in your abilities. A short dive with no learning is still a mini-refresher and confidence builder.

I'll thrown in this--I recorded the "scenarios" on the Rescue Course as one logged dive, though I spent all of 10 minutes recovering a belt at 20' depth. Did the same during the DM course when as DMCs we assisted on a Rescue Course.
Aquarium dives-- I'd never do one, but if I did I don't think I'd log it, even if it qualified as an OW checkout dive. I'd look at that as a pool dive. I'd probably (well would have to) log it if it were a checkout dive on MY OW course.

I count anything to 20 fsw for 20 min... except for several very shallow (and very long) dives when I was filming a new species in California waters. Of course the vast majority of my dives are much longer and deeper.

Personally if my computer records it, it gets logged. I have it set up so that being on the surface for 2 minutes or less and resubmerging is counted as one dive. Sometimes its easier to go back down 10ft than do a long kelp crawl on the surface.

For instance I dived on Saturday to replace the zinc's on my friends boat and do some other repairs underwater.
The depth under the boat wasn't deep enough to trigger my Petrel so it didn't get logged.

There are two sections in the PADI instructors manual that discuss this. First there is a definition of a Logged Dive:

To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takes place in open water and specifc information about the dive (i.e. General Standards and Procedures 22 PADI INSTRUCTOR MANUAL date, time, location, depth, profle, etc.) is recorded. Training dives for PADI courses (in open water) qualify as logged dives.

Second there is the definition of an Open Water dive as it relates to training:

During open water dives, have divers spend the majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.

So pool dives/time won't count for PADI, if you logged it as a dive and you wanted to move on to a professional level, but that's it.

Years ago I logged a dive to 70-something feet that lasted less than 10 minutes. Why? Because I was using an RDP, and at the end of the dive, she lost her fin and I went down for it. Today I wouldn't bother.

It's your log, log what you want. Logged dives are a crappy measure of diver skill and experience, there's certainly better measures, but then again I know instructors with thousands of dives that I wouldn't dive with because they scare me, and kids with 20 dives that make great buddies.

To be honest. this sounds like the same stuff as RECOMMENDED limits statements. or training limits etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom