"Observations show an average 260 touches per one hour dive for a party of four."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like OW card, no card no dive...for whatever level the dive requires.
If a DM observes someone being a destructive idiot they’re benched for rest of the trip. And if you are a total ass causing mega destruction you get a fine, just like if you’re caught off trail in a park causing destruction.
It’s amazing how people will straighten out if there’s money and fines involved.

Money IS involved. Dive op money. That's why you seldom see this because the diver would just take their dollars elsewhere. I do think the "tornado with fins" needs to be sat out but if you get a rep for doing this too aggressively then you'll get less bookings. Many divers are not very skilled divers but not obnoxious divers either. Most need a little education and encouragement not chastising and punishment.

Money IS involved. Dive op money. That's why you seldom see this because the diver would just take their dollars elsewhere. I do think the "tornado with fins" needs to be sat out but if you get a rep for doing this too aggressively then you'll get less bookings. Many divers are not very skilled divers but not obnoxious divers either. Most need a little education and encouragement not chastising and punishment.
Did you read the part about required specialty training to even be allowed on the reef? Mandated by law, not by the operator. Do you want to save the reef or not? Otherwise they’ll just shut it down and nobody gets to go there.
The sit out and fine are for people who already have the training but still choose to be destructive idiots.

There should be a sensitive reef specialty and card.
The specialty should include PPB, underwater naturalist (tailored to the particular environment), no dangle gear reconfiguration, and no silting finning technique.
That's pretty much what the defunct National Geographic Diver card was, once-upon-a-time from PADI.

Leave no trace is a great program. In the water you should take only pictures and leave only bubbles. It should be more than lip service, though. I've seen instructors and students standing on the bottom, and then they get enraged when you point that out. It's still not as bad as it used to be.

I would like to comment about the sand being stirred up by divers. If you have ever been diving in Cozumel after a strong current day with a sand storm, strong norte, or Hurricane—you will see that those events stir up more sand in one day than all the divers can do in a year, at least those that do so inadvertently. Indeed, if you have done much diving in Cozumel you have seen the sand storms and know exactly what I mean.

So even though it may be best to frog kick, or dive barefoot, I don't see that as a big issue affecting the reefs. In the same vane, doing instruction or getting the group together for check out on the shallow sand, quite away from the reefs is no big deal either. Just my 2 cents.

On the other hand I do see great problems when I see a diver with a camera that looks like a research sub, they seldom care about other diver's experience or the protecting the reef…just to get the great shot of the possibly last animal in the ocean. Again, as a DM, virtually ever time a saw a diver with a camera I cringed and gave special briefings. And at times threw them off the boat. The advent of go pros has somewhat reduced that problem.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Did you read the part about required specialty training to even be allowed on the reef? Mandated by law, not by the operator. Do you want to save the reef or not? Otherwise they’ll just shut it down and nobody gets to go there.
The sit out and fine are for people who already have the training but still choose to be destructive idiots.

Did you read the part about where divers would just take their dollars elsewhere? I have 1500 dives and work as a boat DM, I'm not about to put another dollar in and get another specialty card. I'd just go to Roatan or Bonaire or a bazillion other places instead. I like Cozumel but I don't *need* Cozumel.

Btw, do you really think that would "save the reef"?

I've seen instructors and students standing on the bottom
Picture from Rota, in the CNMI. Japanese instructor standing, three US divers in the background.
upload_2019-10-7_11-57-58.png

I'd just go to Roatan or Bonaire or a bazillion other places instead.

Or New Jersey! Much more interesting diving, hundreds of real historic wrecks, dripping with sea life. We don’t mind if you touch them, you can even take bits of them home with you.

Hey, I never saw a Humpback whale on a Cozumel reef...

You left out the part about photographers often being the problem.

Not the good ones... but everyone is a photographer these days.

Dr Bill in Bahamas filming.jpg

Did you read the part about where divers would just take their dollars elsewhere? I have 1500 dives and work as a boat DM, I'm not about to put another dollar in and get another specialty card. I'd just go to Roatan or Bonaire or a bazillion other places instead. I like Cozumel but I don't *need* Cozumel.

Btw, do you really think that would "save the reef"?
I guess it’s all about the money then right?
Screw the reef, there’s money to be made!
I thought the idea was to try and save the reef.
My mistake.
I guess when there’s nothing but sand and bare rocks they’ll be happy?
Or do you think they will shut them down before then and not let anybody go there.
If reefs get systematically destroyed by touchers don’t you think that will put more pressure on the ones still intact by the same idiots who destroyed the prior ones.
At least what I’m proposing allows people to continue to enjoy the reefs without inadvertently damaging it through ignorance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom