West end shore diving roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And now Maybe you do - Roatán Scuba Diving & Snorkeling | Brisas del Mar, Dive & Beach Resort assuming they kept Sueno's policy.

The AL-100's I dove all week were Sueno's - marked on the neck. They went with me to 4 different dive ops, 2 north/2 south, I do agree they may be about the only one though

Somebody in West Bay is renting tanks for the lousy shore dive there - IDK who?
How did you manage that? We've been diving with Island/Randy for years, including since they have moved to Sueno/Brisas. I just checked with them in march and they certainly would not.

@Doc
I don't recall Ray/Sueno, the people who had the shop in the last few years Ray owned it, or Island (either at their old location or current back at Sueno), renting tanks for shore diving. In fact, I inquired with Randy/Bill at Island in March about shore diving from there WITH a DM but they won't because of the very heavy boat traffic in the area. Nor would they rent tanks.

How did you manage that?
We rented the Sea Plantation house on the east point of HMB. which came with a van driver .

We mentioned it to him and the next day they were filled and waiting for us at Coconut Tree.
At the time we were planning to shore dive in front of the house but the 10' drop onto the coral didn't seem like the best idea.

I did walk over to SeaGrape one night -we'd made contact with them to take us over to Utila for the day - but they canceled later in the week since it would have been too rough coming back.

I assumed they rented tanks to dive there.

To be fair only CTD and Barefoot filled them. I had no physical contact with anyone at Sueno. And myself and two of my buddies had one each. Except for the water taxi's I would not expect a lot of boat traffic out front of the West End past about 3PM. And we're likely discussing an early night dive by the time they get from the airport to the West End, check in etc,
I didn't think the water taxis run after dark?

I saw some divers drift by our house one morning - I assume they entered at Sea Grape since Cocolobo used a shop in town.

One morning the MV Pearl was moored in front of our house - diving the site from the other side. At the time it was a DiivEncounters (Hughes) charter. So it must be a decent dive.

@diversteve when were you there? I was there for a month in March and the boat traffic was horrendous and in fact a few divers had encounters with boats during my stay.

There are places on the island I would consider shore diving, but the stretch between West Bay and AKR is definitely not one of them.

And yes, water taxis are not supposed to run after dark but you will find a few that skirt the rules and bring a big flashlight. We heard them rather than seen them.

My family was there for July, I was there for the last week of that month. In the past we have walked from our place at Cocolobo over to Lands End and dropped in the there with snorkel gear and then drifted around to HMB. I would bring a 3' orange float with a dive flag on the top to help the taxis know we were there. We no longer do this and Cocolobo no longer recommends it either. The water traffic is enough that it's just not worth it. Diving would be safer obviously, as long as you don't surface without shooting up an SMB. The reef in that area is good enough, there are named dive markers all along that location.

We use Sun Divers and they are pretty accommodating, but I don't know that they would rent out tanks. Their night dive is usually mid-week. We've moved away from trying to cram in as many dives as possible, including day of arrival, to using that afternoon to unpack, do a gear check, go to the dive op and check-in, complete any paperwork, set up gear and review/plan some of the dives for the week, and then if feeling up to it take a snorkel swim out over the reef on the left side of HMB. Regularly find small octopus and plenty of other life out there in 3-10' of water.

I'm not exactty sure why is matters but it's been a few years,maybe 5? I've never seen the road paved for reference.

I can't speak for anyone else but I would do that dive - get deeper fast and one thing I noticed is our captain(s) were really attentive when we passed the snorkelers off HMBR.

Once the mooring repair boat went right over my head off Utila. I was at about 30' and we were the only divers at one of the NW sites - I believe he swung on to chat with our captain.

I'm not exactty sure why is matters but it's been a few years,maybe 5? I've never seen the road paved for reference.

I think the biggest reason is the boat traffic has increased a lot since they paved the road. More tourists, more boats, way more dangerous. We used to snorkel out to the reef before they paved the roads. Now nobody wants you to swim out to the reef. They would rather drop you off for free than see you travel across the boat lanes.

I also think the marine park is a lot more involved now than they used to be and dive shops are paying a lot more attention.

As @Doc mentioned, the shops also don't want to lose the tanks.

We've been diving with the same DMs for years and couldn't get them to give us tanks to shore dive near Luna Beach this past March.

I can't speak for anyone else but I would do that dive - get deeper fast and one thing I noticed is our captain(s) were really attentive when we passed the snorkelers off HMBR.

Once the mooring repair boat went right over my head off Utila. I was at about 30' and we were the only divers at one of the NW sites - I believe he swung on to chat with our captain.

The road in West End was paved in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom