Using a weightbelt with BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel M. Thomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi divers.

I am planning to switch over to a back-plate & wing setup with 1 piece harness and 2" crotch strap from a traditional style BCD setup.

I have a scubapro weightbelt and i also have the XDEEP weight pockets to attach to my backplate but i'm thinking i'd rather not use them as they are bulky and add weight when taking the setup on holiday for travel diving.

My question is, what is the correct way to use the belt with the harness in order to release the weights quickly and not obstruct the left side d ring for my air gauge? I'm presuming i just put the weight belt over the top of the wing harness but i thought i would get some others opinions before going ahead and doing so.

thanks for reading

If I was going to wear one it would be under the harness, not on top of it. As it is, though, I use a Halcyon trim pocket on the left, and their weighted bellows pocket on the right. There are two trim weight pouches on my upper cam band too. I travel with my SS plate, so there's plenty of room in the small pockets for what weight I need and I can distribute it to make it easy to be flat in the water.

I don’t know if there is a “right way” of doing it.
I have a weight belt(pocket style) I’ve been using for over 15 years. I put the belt on first then my BPW on over.
I also use trim pockets on cam band.
This set up works well for me so far.

With a BP, the weight belt goes under the harness. Just put the belt on before your rig.

It’s assumed that you won’t be ditching it. If you do need to, just pull it free of the harness.

Thanks for the replies, I have a northern diver soft (pockets) weight belt and a standard SP belt so I think I will give the soft one ago first and see how I get on if all else fails and its not too comfortable then think I will use the xdeep pockets

As said above weight belt first (with buckle towards your left hand side) then harness on top (with buckle towards the right hand side).

When I need to remove the weight belt (eg at the end of the dive to pass it on to the boat crew), I open first the right flap (harness buckle - no need to undo it or the crotch strap - see below) then open the left flap (weight belt) making sure to always hold firmly at least the free end (the end without the buckle) or the weights might slip to the abyss. The weight of the belt then undoes the harness strap(s) and the crotch strap etc and frees itself.

I would follow the same procedure in case of an emergency (eg to drop weights on the surface).

The reason under vs over, is probably because losing your weight belt is more serious than the slight difficulty of removing it.

See new divers lose weight belts all the time.

The reason under vs over, is probably because losing your weight belt is more serious than the slight difficulty of removing it.

See new divers lose weight belts all the time.

Probably like me, no way a weight belt will stay on me. I tried again last week the only thing holding it was my crotch strap.

To the OP, thr belt will go under the backplate wing if you want ditchable weight use pockets mentioned above. I use a harness but hate it so I'm going with a p weight and the attached pockets.

I usually wear the weight belt under the crotch strap but if the boat wants you to hand up your weights followed by your rig before climbing the ladder, you may want to wear the belt on top to make it a little easier to get off. Even under the crotch strap it’s not too difficult, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom