Was I narced @60 feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys,
I dive with a Shearwater Teric. 16 psi/min.
I monitor this closely because I seem to blow through tanks faster than my buddies.

So unsure if that feeling was because I was breathing too slowly, the Nitrox, nitrogen narcosis, or what. Thankfully it happened pretty shallow and I was able to correct it, but worried about recurrence at depth.

My guess is that your breathing pattern sucked and you did not get your lungs ventilated good enough thus resulting in CO2 retention. When you ascended 20' you probably were not thinking about controlling your SAC any longer and nature took over. It could not have been a bad case or it never would have cleared up so fast either.

I could believe 1.6 for a new diver having problems. wonder if the tank had anything else in it. I have experienced virtego and ascended to find it went away. the ascent had nothing to do with my case. it was the position change from horizontal to vertical that did it not the depth. I dont know but there is too much contrary to being narced. To the OP can you replicate it at will. And then do so with different tanks filled at different places etc. I suspect that this will be a long process to find what the cause is. Even a change from warm to cold water can trigger virtego.

If youare claiming a sac of decimal 16 then i would suspect high CO2. slower breathing does nto change metabolism.

16 psi per minute? So after 100 minutes at 60 feet and you would use 1600 psi from the tank? That seems way, way too low to me.

I use a rough assumption of 50 psi per minute on a safety stop - probably is somewhat conservative.

16 psi per minute? So after 100 minutes at 60 feet and you would use 1600 psi from the tank? That seems way, way too low to me.

I use a rough assumption of 50 psi per minute on a safety stop - probably is somewhat conservative.

SAC is consumption adjusted to surface atmospheres by definition. If you were to adjust for consumption at various depths you would be calculating RMV. I use a teric, same as OP, a SAC of 16 is lower, but not at all abnormal, my computer calculated SAC is usually between 16 and 18.

Here’s the log.

Attachments

• 870C86EA-E73B-46EA-BD10-6853AAE5CDA0.png
    870C86EA-E73B-46EA-BD10-6853AAE5CDA0.png
    116 KB · Views: 169

That's surface use. Normal. Especially for a female.

I avg 15 psi/min. If I focus on breathing I can get it down to about 10 psi/min. Small sized male.

At 60ft and 100min that would not be 1600psi... 3atm that would be 16x3 psi/min

SAC could be 16cf per minute. If so the dive was way too short to be narced.
Musta looked like a locomotive going along at that rate!!!!

On a side note it looks like we still have some nice water temps here in ftl.

Back
Top Bottom