DIY p weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Before you ask I am familiar with working with metal and I have all required (by my heavy standards) safety gear.

So here is the question, how long after pouring do I wait before removing the weight from the mold should be around 10-12 pounds.

You'll neet to reheat the top layer of lead often as the lead slowly cools, in order to keep the top surface flat without any unsightly dips holes or pits. Afterwards pour water on it in order to cool it enough to handle with gloves and dump the mold with weight in a container of water. 2 minutes later you can handle it with your hands.
When casting P-Weights, I can use a mold a maximum of 3x per hour. since I use multiple molds I can cast 8-10 P-Weights per hour. Still need to countersink the threaded holes, file the rough spots on the weighs and wash everything off. Usually can't average more than 40-45 weights per day, and never cast over 120Kg per day.

Michael

So only 120Kg per day hey!

You must look just like this

tin_can_man_x3.jpg

reheat the top layer of lead often as the lead slowly cools;
need to countersink the threaded holes

@Michael, great suggestion to keep heating the top layer! You mention the threaded holes.... Does that mean you cast threaded holes in your P-weights? Sounds like a great simplifying idea, how do you do that? (With a bolt in the mold, which you unscrew to remove the P weight from the mold?)

I use
Flanged Serrated Hex Nuts
in V2A Stainless M8.
They are cast into the lead mold with the washer surface inside the lead keeping the nut from being removed from the lead.
they look like this

Here is a link for a 5/16" stainless version
Flange nuts serrated, Stainless steel 18-8, 5/16"-18 - Bolt Depot

Michael

Back
Top Bottom