Regulators changing mouths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And there’s a rumor that some people even pee in the water!
So do seals, whales and porposes, sea lions, sea otters, manatees, and any other mammal in the water.

What's the problem? We used to say, "The solution to pollution is dilution." That no longer holds for many man-make pollutants, but in the case of pee in the water, it holds water pretty well.

SeaRat

Working as an educator, I have definitely noticed a growing trend of germaphobia among americans, both young and old.

Nobody wants to pick up trash on the ground much anymore without gloves. Heck, I now regularly am seeing money lying on the ground where people can obviously see it and yet just leave it there.

People are not using the door handles to get in and out of restrooms. They are pushing on the door itself to get out, and often doing it with the sleeves of their clothes rather than with their hands.

I must also admit that have fallen into this same trap of increasing germaphobia.

But I'll still probably suck off somebody's else's reg if I run out of air. Needs must.

I do push on the men's room door to get out, or grab it with my coat or sleeve--I will next be holding that BK Whopper in my hands. Don't think I'm at all germaphobic. I eat stuff that falls on the floor at home--ask my wife.....
I was diving years ago with the buddy and his son (17), who was somewhat shocked that I peed in the water before donning the wetsuit. I explained all the fish excrement to him as well.

Since I have been in a OOA situation, I would take any source of air that is available. In a pool we might have a choice, but in the real world choices do not exist, you need air, end of story, you take what is available. I was fortunate that alternate air was available, nothing else crossed my mind at that moment.

Fortunately, the majority of people who dive are relatively healthy.

I’m not concerned about germs, but the mouthpiece itself. The ones with long sides make me gag something fierce. Strong gag reflex. Dentist visits are awful. I’ve had people want to trade full gear in the pool to try my rig, and I refuse because I’m protective of my mouthpiece. Only use the AL Comfobite. The Apeks version isn’t as nice. Last winter when my doubles regs XTX50 were in for service, I had the mouthpiece switched out to the AL version.

It's one argument for sharing the octo reg rather than primary, at least when training. If training with the long hose it's probably a good idea to move the reg through water a few times before donating to wash the mouthpiece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom