Sharp dive knife that won't rust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Need suggestion of a sharp dive knife that won't rust in SW. i checked Amazon and most reviews mention rust.

I guess titanium won't rust right?

I need one to defend against sharks lol...
So gotta be strong and sharp pointed. Also for cutting cords e.t.c.... for emergencies.

Going to keep strapped to the leg.

THANKS

MK...

See attached photo...titanium skeleton knife/sheath from DGX...sheath has 2'' loop that will attach anywhere its convenient onto 2'' webbing...you don't need a Crocodile Dundee knife attached to your leg...unless you're striving for ''vintage dive gear correctness''...

W...

titanium DGX knife.jpg

I probably have the same one. Sharp as a razor. Mine didn't rust anywhere though I did take the spring clip off. I didn't want to lose it as my Son gave it to me on my Birthday. Clipping it to my pocket isn't a good idea. I lost another knife that way. I clip it to my harness using a S-biner. Oh and once opened it locks in place. No matter how many times you stab something it won't close.
Here is one like mine: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41mlI5rB9gL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

It is not the joint pin that got rusty but the black fastener you can see around the pin's head. I still like the knife, though.

Why do so many people like dive knives more than shears? Is it just that everyone does a lot of spearfishing? I never really understood that.

...That being said, I've never really used it for anything,...
What get used is my stainless steel shears and it requires some attention to prevent rusting. Rinse and WD40 after every dive. I didn't realise they had them in titanium or else that is what I would have got.

This ^. Shears will be far more useful on a day to day basis.

Why do so many people like dive knives more than shears? Is it just that everyone does a lot of spearfishing? I never really understood that.

Because James Bond never strapped scissors to his calf.

Seriously, I'm with you. I have a trilobyte on every BC/BP. That's fine for OW. If wreck diving, I'll also have shears and maybe the DGX titanium pictured above. If I spearfished, I guess there might be a need for a KNIFE!, but not otherwise.

To OP's question, the DGX titanium knife pictured above is pretty awesome and bullet proof.

While I do carry the knife, every time some one asks me about it, I tell them to get a shear.
I tell them I really have the knife for the rare chance we encounter a shark that looks like it might be trouble (insert a little pause), I then use it to cut my buddy, so I can get away safely. I say this with a very straight face.

A perfectly fine set of trauma shears costs $5. You can throw them away if they get rusty after a couple of years, but they still work fine even if rusty. They will cut pretty much anything better than a knife, and you are unlikely to injure yourself or damage your gear. They are also much better doing little topside jobs as well.

Years ago, in Mexico, I tried to cut a zip tie off of my regulator with a BFK, which led me to learn where to get a tetanus vaccine in Cozumel!

A backup Trilobite is a good idea too.

Seriously, unless you are a spearo, what is the advantage of a knife?

You want one of these!

19820631-016.jpg

Well, without the tip damage.
I might have bought one at an antique store. And I might be 3D printing a not terrible sheath for it. And I might be planning on carrying it because it makes a great pry-bar, or hammer. And maybe I'll cut into the back of the blade to add a bottle-opener.
I carry a Trilobyte though, for actually cutting stuff.
The Sea Hawk is totally not cos-play.

And I might be planning on carrying it because it makes a great pry-bar, or hammer. .

The appearance of the tip says it's not such a great pry-bar.

You want one of these:

hammers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom