Compass that will fit into a Pennform console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruger

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this qualifies as a piece of vintage equipment, but I'll ask it anyway. I have a 3 gauge Pennform Console and the compass that is in the end position was manufactured by Dacor. The rotating bezel diameter is approximately 2" in diameter and the thickest part on the ends is 7/8" and 13/16" thick in the middle of the compass. The compass face has faded and is very hazy. I was wondering if anyone on the board is aware if a replacement compass is avaliable?

Thanks,
Ruger

Does it look like this one? I carefully cut mine out with a Dremel tool (small grinder) and simply cut away the foggy plastic so now it's functional again. On this one the compass module was also shot so I replaced it with one from China (78 cents on eBay). The cheap, oil-filed module has performed just fine and has been on many dives. It just doesn't glow in the dark and you have to remember that Red is North.

. WP_20191003_001[1].jpg

I'm not sure that this qualifies as a piece of vintage equipment, but I'll ask it anyway. I have a 3 gauge Pennform Console and the compass that is in the end position was manufactured by Dacor. The rotating bezel diameter is approximately 2" in diameter and the thickest part on the ends is 7/8" and 13/16" thick in the middle of the compass. The compass face has faded and is very hazy. I was wondering if anyone on the board is aware if a replacement compass is avaliable?

Thanks,
Ruger
Ikelite has a compass that should fit

James,

Yes your compass does look like the one I have. I will pull out the dremel and give it a shot I sure can't make it any worse than it already is. I will also check ebay.

Oly,

I will also check ikelite.

Thanks for your replies.
Ruger

Penform consoles were know to be very adaptable. Remove the discrepant compass and post a picture of the open hole with a scale showing the dimensions. I probably have a used or perhaps a new compass that will fit.

James,

Yes your compass does look like the one I have. I will pull out the dremel and give it a shot I sure can't make it any worse than it already is. I will also check ebay.

Oly,

I will also check ikelite.

Thanks for your replies.
Ruger

If I recall correctly, on mine there were four little screws on the back that held it together making it very easy to take apart. Those Chinese modules fit perfectly in both my Dacor and my Ikelite compasses.

If I recall correctly, on mine there were four little screws on the back that held it together making it very easy to take apart. Those Chinese modules fit perfectly in both my Dacor and my Ikelite compasses.

Yeah, don't take a Dremel to it just yet. Turn it over-as James said, there are screws that hold it together.

It looks like I included the incorrect measurements in my original post. the rotating bezel is approximately 1-5/8", the overall diameter is about 2", and the compass does not have any screws on the back. I looked closer and the rotating bezel is not what is hazy but it appears that the face of the compass is hazy.

Thanks again for everyone help.
Ruger

IMG_1621.JPGIMG_1620.JPGIMG_1622.JPGIMG_1623.JPG

the compass does not have any screws on the back.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant the console has screws on the back (although some compasses do too.)

It looks like your console will accept most compasses, including an expensive Suunto ($70-$100) or a generic (~$20) and pretty much everything in between. You can find those on eBay or I'll be happy to sell you one-I also have an ugly yellow console I'll be overjoyed to get rid of and include it free if you want to ditch the Penform. The compass is new old stock $18 plus shipping.
IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Couv,

Thank you for the offer, but looking at your compass I don't think that it will fit in my console. It's hard to see in the picture that I took, but the base of my compass is wider than the opening in the console, which is what holds the compass in place. From the pictures you took the diameter of the compass (below the bezel) looks to be straight so I think it would fall out.

Thanks
Ruger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom