Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breaking official news: reefs will close from
October 7 and will re-open on December 15

This was the result of a meeting today with members of the dive community and the council that made the decision to close last week.

More information about the closure, enforcement plans, etc will be revealed in another meeting on Friday.

This is all of the information I have at this point.

I'm still going somewhere in the closing section today!!!!

Thank you!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

I'm still going somewhere in the closing section today!!!!

Thank you!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Is there a large brain coral near the exit of Devil's Throat? If so, is it still alive?

Thank you for your informative reply, El Graduado!

I just thought of another possible “diver impact” cause that doesn’t seem probable, but could be possible. I don’t recall seeing it discussed...... but could SCTLD contaminated divers equipment (maybe inside one’s BC) from other places around the world be a source of concern? Has this been considered?

How long does the bacteria/virus live in that environment?

This was the result of a meeting today with members of the dive community and the council that made the decision to close last week.

More information about the closure, enforcement plans, etc will be revealed in another meeting on Friday.

Thanks for the update @Christi

And I arrive on the 14th...how sweet!

And I arrive on the 14th...how sweet!

Like catching a rope drop after a fresh snow!

Other things to get angry about in October's Undercurrent:
Dying coral closes much of Cozumel diving

Wow. If the article follows the headline, it seems it will still be short on facts.

And I got it from and unimpeachable source that the Big Boss man from Mexico City came to Cozumel deal with the fallout and sort this thing out. So it looks like they got some attention.

Jefe, your unimpeachable source live from Cozumel
upload_2019-10-3_15-57-3.jpeg

PS Ric's comments aside, we have from "unimpeachable" sources that there are at least 300 septic tanks in the newly developed south, all basically draining into the ocean with time. And many are the big ones!

We do not contend that this is the complete cause of anything, like the silliness that divers are kicking all the brain corals, but the easiest solution would be to put a real fully functional hygienic sewage plant in the south to serve ALL properties—and require retrofitting.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Oh and I can unimpeachably tell you that the rain has pretty much stopped.

breakfast for lunch is still good at Rocken Java

and if you are using the ferry, I’d buy Ultramar ticket. Win Jet (the old Mexico water jet) has started using the little Isla mujeres ferry. It’s sucks. It rolls like me sleeping of a batch of Guidos margaritas. And the fire alarm goes off occasionally, not that anyone else is bothered by it. Barf bags are still free.

Jefe, your unimpeachable source for Cozumel news reporting live from Cozumel.

In reef reporting: we saw a mound coral that someone slapped some silly putty on to stop the white band disease. It appears to have worked as it looked to have been there a little while and had stopped the advance of the disease. Dead on one side, live on the other. This was palancar gardens. And there is still a lot of coral in good shape too

However we saw a big batch of pillar coral on Columbia shallows today that had silly putty on it but it didn’t work. All of it was dead. Still schools of grunts around.

Also saw some newly cemented reef anchors the marine park attached to the reef. Must be something to do with the studies they are doing.

—Jefe reporting live from the reefs of Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom