New rEvo BOV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh. I thought the point was two factors...

First, the closure factor. Like if I wanted a second oxy fitting on my MAV and I used a BC fitting instead of a QC6 then a press of the Mav button without the alternate hose would just vent the gas out the alternate fitting.

So, both sides of the QC6 close when it's disconnected? Well, duh. Now that you point it out, that must be the case. I just never thought about it before. Good point.

QC6 can't be keyed.

We use an LPI for oxygen because you should never really need a super high flow rate. DIL and BOV's are driven by QC6. That's how we key them.

QC6 can't be keyed.

We use an LPI for oxygen because you should never really need a super high flow rate. DIL and BOV's are driven by QC6. That's how we key them.

Do you still use BC-style inflators for suit gas?

QC6 is certainly available keyed although I don’t think it’s commonly used in diving.

74FFBAD8-3EE1-4920-AC88-906CD299C23C.jpeg

So, both sides of the QC6 close when it's disconnected? Well, duh. Now that you point it out, that must be the case. I just never thought about it before. Good point.

you can actually buy them so that they aren’t that way but I believe that is the most common.

I put it all together and took a few breaths off the BOV in OC mode. *ahem* It does not breathe like my ScubaPro or Atomic regs. Ummm.... not really even close.

I have emailed the guy at rEvo HQ that has been helping me. I asked for the actual numbers for the WOB on the BOV in both OC and CC mode, as well as the WOB on the stock DSV. If I get the data, I will share it here.

Now I am curious to breathe off a Shrimp and/or a Divesoft BOV in OC mode, to see how they compare.

Now that I think of it, I will email rEvo again and also inquire regarding what the dil IP should be. Maybe the BOV feels really stiff because the IP on my dil 1st stage is set lower than expected. I don't know....

My divesoft breathes beautifully. I g250s or g200s and mk25s as my of regs. I won’t lie and say the divesoft breathes that well, but not far off.

Yes, of course we still use an LPI for suit and wing gas. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't.

Interesting about the keyed QC6's. Never saw those before.

Still, LPI is fully functional for oxygen because you don't need a high flow rate. I'm not sure what the value of using a $100 connector there would be over using a very common/standard fitting.

I'm sure the RB80 guys are laughing about oxygen. :)

Yes, of course we still use an LPI for suit and wing gas. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't.

I guess it just means that your suit gas shares a connector with your oxygen and not your dil. I don’t know, but I think it would be better to have suit and dil on the same connector. ‍♂️

So some thoughts for consideration..

1. The moment you put helium in your DIL, you don't want to feed that into your suit so you will need a different gas source.

2. If you're just using air DIL but want your drysuit/wing/BOV and DIL to be fed from the same gas source, you can use a manifold/3-way splitter. Input can be QC6, output can be whatever you want (two LPI's for wing/drysuit, and appropriate hoses for BOV/DIL).

I tend to drive my DIL and BOV from off-board sources and use my on-board bottle strictly for drysuit/wing inflation. When in that config, my on-board reg has two LPI's for inflation, and of course an OPV. The off-board source feeds into a manifold by QC6 which then feeds into a BOV and my DIL source.

Sometimes when I'm doing open-ocean stuff I'll drive my DIL from on-board, in which case I replace one of the LPI's with a QC6 and drive the manifold from that. In this config, if I'm diving a drysuit I'll need a drysuit bottle. In this config, unless I reconfig my BOV for off-board and separate it from the manifold, I acknowledge and accept the BOV is only good for 2 or 3 breaths, long enough to get me onto another reg and no more. There's a huge trade-off here, and actually I prefer to not use a BOV in this config (because usually on a dive like this I'm likely to be using a hypoxic DIL).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom