G1X Mk III. Anyone using one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

It's time to retire my old G12 and I'm considering the G1X Mk III and Ikelite housing combo. Mostly because I already have a DS161 strobe and I can use that on the new housing in TTL mode.

I like the idea of being able to switch from Wide-Angle to Macro easily and the Ikelite housing does this.

Has anyone worked with the G1X Mk III? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

The G1X Mk III. It's a very different camera than the original G1X. I found the G1X review you linked and I agree, that one isn't much of an upgrade.

The Mk III seems like a much better camera, but nobody seems to say much about it. At this point, I'm considering the Panasonic Lumix LX100 II.

Thanks!

-Charles

To close the loop on this thread:

I contacted Ikelite to get their thoughts on the G1X Mk III and they said it was an older model at this point and there were better cameras out there for the same money. They're not shipping many housings for the G1X Mk III anymore which explains why it's a Special Order on B&H's website.

Ironically, Ikelite recommended I look at the Panasonic LX100 II. They said it was more modern all the way around and had better battery life. I'm not wild about getting away from Canon since I've shot Canon exclusively now for more than 30 years, but I have to choose very carefully here. These housings are very expensive...

-Charles

I would contact @JackConnick at optical ocean sales, the folks at Backscatter, or one of the other UW sellers (Reef Photo, BlueWaterPhoto etc). They can listen to what you're trying to accomplish, and recommend some options with the pro's and con's of each. There is no perfect system, but there are systems that will work well for your shooting style and subjects, and systems that will hinder or frustrate you. I was interested in the LX100 II and while it is a good bit of kit, there are some gotchas that you need to be aware of. If they don't apply to you, great! I still haven't chosen what path to go down yet, but I'm not in a rush as my next UW trip isn't until next year at this point.

Charles;

I wouldn't house such an old camera. The newer G7XMKII is priced attractively right now, as the latest G7XMKIII is just coming out. Fantasea has a much better housing than Ikelite and they have a bundle of G7XMKII camera and housing for only $849 on closeout.

We shot and reviewed the G7XMKI and Fantasea housing here. Both the camera and housing have had some upgrades:
Canon G7X and Fantasea FG7X Underwater Housing Review

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom