New rEvo BOV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

500 euro. Not bad. Regarding the QC6 aren't they set up with a flow stop when disconnected to reduce water ingress when swapping lines?

AFAIK, that is correct.

500 euro. Not bad. Regarding the QC6 aren't they set up with a flow stop when disconnected to reduce water ingress when swapping lines?

QC6s can be connected, disconnected and otherwise swapped underwater without issue

Putting my skeptic hat:
- "rEvo" BOV advertised in a closed rEvo Facebook group
- no technical data on BOV available yet
- New diver (less than 50 hrs on first unit) hopes to try out BOV in the next few dives before signing up for MOD2, hoping that his instructor will know something about said BOV and be able to advise on best practice.
- Regulator (presumably Mares, a well known self-proclaimed tech diving equipment brand) breaths like crap a 1 ata.
- No mention of it coming with a gag strap included (from an official rEvo dealer, the company that one said there is not need for a BOV on rEvos since it is impossible to flood them using a gag-strap and the dual scrubber makes it unlikely to have a CO2 hit - I am not even mentioning the sliced bread, er sorry, rMS system).

I will follow this thread with attention...
:)

I’ll bite for that as an also-noob. I typically have 4 male BCD fittings on me when I dive. They are all the same. I have an extra BC hose on both my BO regs. I can plug anything anywhere. To get the same with QC6 I would have to convert my drysuit and wing as well as my MAVs. I’m just not quite sure I’m willing to do that.

Try breathing through an inflator hose when you take a CO2 hit. Here's a hint, it won't work -- LPI's do not offer the appropriate flow rate to compensate and effectively breathe when you need it.

You've basically got 3 options for something you plan to breathe from on OC (such as a BOV), those are QC4, QC6 and QD.

KUR has standardized on QC6 for two primary reasons:

1. Increased gas flow rate over QC4 - when you need OC gas, you NEED OC gas.

2. We encountered some problems with compatibility between various QD connectors. These were all manufactured by the same company, but there were some tolerance variances that caused some male part A's to not mate with female part B's. These nearly caused a drowning with a very experienced CCR diver when he was out of DIL, had a loop failure, and couldn't get an OC source plumbed in to his BOV. Thankfully he managed to get a reg in his mouth (and working), but it was very very very close.

So, my understanding is that a BCD whip will not flow enough gas to use for OC breathing at depth.

I’m with you that far. I didn’t think the QC6 did either tho... My understanding was that QC6 was only a replacement for low flow IP and not for OC 2nds.

Why would you run your BOV from onboard?

First:

I want this thread to be about the BOV itself, not another debate about how to configure the gases used, etc.. So, I'll leave it at that.

Second, I am already well aware that many of you - people that I have come to know a little bit and whose opinions I highly value and respect - do not agree with the configuration I am starting with. However, I hope that you can all respect that what I am actually doing is following the lead of one of my primary CCR mentors - someone with significant experience diving deep (>100m) wrecks on CCR and who was trained by someone who is also a well respected deep wreck diver and CCR instructor. My mentor is someone whom I am friends in real life and with whom I have dived a fair bit.

So, can we leave it at that for the moment and just focus on the merits (or demerits) of the BOV itself?

Putting my skeptic hat:
- "rEvo" BOV advertised in a closed rEvo Facebook group
- no technical data on BOV available yet
- New diver (less than 50 hrs on first unit) hopes to try out BOV in the next few dives before signing up for MOD2, hoping that his instructor will know something about said BOV and be able to advise on best practice.
- Regulator (presumably Mares, a well known self-proclaimed tech diving equipment brand) breaths like crap a 1 ata.
- No mention of it coming with a gag strap included (from an official rEvo dealer, the company that one said there is not need for a BOV on rEvos since it is impossible to flood them using a gag-strap and the dual scrubber makes it unlikely to have a CO2 hit - I am not even mentioning the sliced bread, er sorry, rMS system).

I will follow this thread with attention...
:)

Well, if you want to put that spin on it... LOL :wink: :D

It did not come with a gag strap just like it doesn't come with breathing hoses. The kit does not include parts that were stock on the unit to begin with and that are re-used in the installation of the BOV.

I have emailed the company to see if I can get WOB numbers, the IP spec for the BOV, and a service manual.

I have been told that Paul Raymaekers at rEvo has an ANSTI machine and has tested WOB on many BOVs and DSVs. Until I have reason to doubt what rEvo says, I am inclined to believe them when they say the BOV has lower WOB than the stock DSV. For CC mode, anyway. I did not ask before about WOB on OC. But I do hope they will get back to me with actual WOB data. I prefer data to faith.

If the BOV turns out to be shite and my experience only serves as a warning to others to run away, run away, well, as long I don't end up seriously damaged or dead, what's the problem? :D

I’m with you that far. I didn’t think the QC6 did either tho... My understanding was that QC6 was only a replacement for low flow IP and not for OC 2nds.

What would you think QC6 would be for, if not for OC 2nds?

If it matters, rEvo specifically offered me a QC6 connector set, if I wanted to run a hose off the dil manifold to allow quick connection of offboard gas for running the BOV. I.e. it is their recommended solution.

What would you think QC6 would be for, if not for OC 2nds?

If it matters, rEvo specifically offered me a QC6 connector set, if I wanted to run a hose off the dil manifold to allow quick connection of offboard gas for running the BOV. I.e. it is their recommended solution.

Huh. I thought the point was two factors...

First, the closure factor. Like if I wanted a second oxy fitting on my MAV and I used a BC fitting instead of a QC6 then a press of the Mav button without the alternate hose would just vent the gas out the alternate fitting.

Second is keying. QC6 is able to be keyed so that you can’t connect, for example, an oxy supply hose to a dil input. Although my understanding is that most people don’t do this and there isn’t any agreement on how keying should be done even if you wanted to do it.

If that’s the case I must have gotten the wrong impression somehow. @kensuf seems to be backing REVO’s position on that too if I read his post correctly. There is always something new to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom