First time to Indonesia- help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if you made your plans yet...

My wife and I spent a month in Bali last December and dove quite a bit while there on Bali and the Gili Islands. Of all the diving we did, by far the dives off Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida were the best. It was December so we missed Mola Mola season, but you may have some luck in November. We were told the week before we were there, there was a sighting. Water on the Nusa's were a little chillier, but had no trouble 3mm wetsuits. There are some decent currents off the Nusa's, something to keep in mind.

We used World Diving and highly recommend them. Also looked at Dive Concepts, but didn't get a good vibe from them. Then saw their boats out in the water and they had way too many divers on the boat for my comfort. Your mileage may vary.

If you want to see Mola Mola, come during July-September. I’ve dove in Bali almost every year since 2007, at different month of the year, April-December. I have zero luck of seeing Mola Mola after September and before July. August during full moon or new moon was the best time to find them. I saw 9 of them in August, 2014. I was in Manta Point & Blue Corner on September 20, 2019 and saw these guys:

DBBBE0CC-44EA-43C4-A682-177CB4B9F47C.jpeg
E4522B3E-347D-481E-824F-06318712851C.jpeg
F939EE10-ABFE-4701-B980-F8E4BA113ACB.jpeg
EED41585-9813-43F3-A2CE-823C7D259DDC.jpeg

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts have been removed for inflammatory language, personal attacks or referring to deleted posts. Repeat offenders may be excluded from the thread.

Now please be polite and constructive.

Give it a try. You never know that they may let you go for this once in a lifetime opportunity. We still have 4 spots available. It’s in the beginning of the year where work is just starting anyway.

That’ll be my 8th visit to Raja Ampat. I’ve been to Galápagos, Palau, Maldives, Cocos, Socorro, GBR, Red Sea, Alor, Ambon, Banda Sea, Maratua, Lembeh, but Raja Ampat has always been my favorite diving place in terms of bio diversity.

Guys, begging totally worked! I can't extend my time off in November, but I was able to get the 2 weeks off in January for the liveaboard!!! While it means I won't get to see as much of the country, lamarpaulski said it best:

You will wish you gave even more time to this adventure. Once you invest in getting there you will regret not staying longer.

Dan, I'm sending you a PM about the Raja Ampat trip. First liveaboard, here I come!?!!

Since I'm still relatively new to this site- do I put my trip report here in this thread, or should I start a new one?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There should no problems with starting a new thread for your trip report. Spinoff topic, spinoff thread.

You could - if you want - include a link to this thread in a new trip report thread, to link them together.

Back
Top Bottom