Where to stay and who to dive with in Tulamben and Padang Bai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Padang Bai, I think that Absolute Scuba has a family room with cooking facilities of some sort. Though the price of prepared food in the restaurant there would cause me to hesitate to cook my own. That said, I'm not a family.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. After reviewing all the options, we decided to stay at LDR. We were able to book their Family Villa, which gives us two separated bedrooms, so the we can have the baby sleep and nap somewhere quiet while the adults are in the common area. After investigating all the suggestions, it seems that kitchen facilities are not easy to find in Tulamben lodging, so it seemed simplest to just stay and dive at LDR.

For diving, they quoted an extra charge of US$12.50/dive for a private guide (on top of the base rate of US$30, which would get me a 1:2 guide-to-diver ratio). I vaguely remember reading on the forum that they offer private guide for no extra cost - perhaps their policy has changed? In any case, the extra charge seems reasonable and I'm happy to pay it, especially as a beginner UW photographer.

It sounds like the challenge in Padangbai will be having the minimum # of divers required for Geko to run trips to Manta Point, Nusa Penida, etc, since November is low season. Anyone want to dive with us in November? :cheers:

If you're not stuck on Tulamben, then consider Mimpi Resort in Manjangan. The drive through the mountains to get there from Denpasar is amazing and the resort is top-notch. The diving is good, though can be challenging with the current between islands being strong there. We were with a couple of photographers who loved the muck diving there. Mimpi Resort | Menjangan

Liberty dive centre...which i will recommend, independantly of any accoms you'll be staying at : they will assign a private guide for you, they can fetch you at your place at any schedule you want, they will take care of your equipment and they have some of the best non freelance spotters available : ask for Wayan Jhon for instance who's the most senior of their guides, he's a photographer also, so he knows what you want. Make sure you do your buckettlist of critters before :) .

I made the request but unfortunately Wayan John is not available during my stay - sounds like word has gotten around about him! Is there a different guide at LDR you'd recommend that I request, or should I just go with whomever they give me? I'm assuming all their guides are good, at least.

For Padang Bai, luckily Geko now has some trips running to Biaha, Tepekong, and Penida while we'll be there, so that should work out great. Not sure how likely mola sightings will be in early November, but I get to see those at home in Monterey so no big deal. Sure, they may be lying in the sand, fins eaten off by sea lions, dead or dying, but it's still a mola, right? :)

We decided to stay at Sea Breeze in Candidasa. It means a longer day away from the family for whomever is diving, but it means that whomever is staying put with the baby will have a quiet and lovely place to spend the day, which sounded much more pleasant than any of the Padangbai lodging options.

We decided to stay at Sea Breeze in Candidasa. It means a longer day away from the family for whomever is diving, but it means that whomever is staying put with the baby will have a quiet and lovely place to spend the day, which sounded much more pleasant than any of the Padangbai lodging options.
I thought most divers would prefer the other way round ie. least time to be separated from the family. However, there are some really nice resorts in Candidasa.

I made the request but unfortunately Wayan John is not available during my stay - sounds like word has gotten around about him! Is there a different guide at LDR you'd recommend that I request, or should I just go with whomever they give me? I'm assuming all their guides are good, at least.

For Padang Bai, luckily Geko now has some trips running to Biaha, Tepekong, and Penida while we'll be there, so that should work out great. Not sure how likely mola sightings will be in early November, but I get to see those at home in Monterey so no big deal. Sure, they may be lying in the sand, fins eaten off by sea lions, dead or dying, but it's still a mola, right? :)

LDR guides : Gede Ardha & Uji are both very good and joyful guys. Nyoman Cois too but very very focused on the smallest things you can imagine, probably not the best choice in your case.
Btw, I have never seen any private guide fee on top of your dive price at LDR (especially if you're not diving alone): was it a special request you had?

You'd be happy (or indifferent to) knowing that there are no Mola molas in Bali but rather Mola alexandrini species (aka the bumphead sunfish, here below one on Gili tepekong being cleaned by bannerfish), so that might be a change from Monterey :)
36788326732_3b61f502ce_c.jpg

If you're not stuck on Tulamben, then consider Mimpi Resort in Manjangan. The drive through the mountains to get there from Denpasar is amazing and the resort is top-notch. The diving is good, though can be challenging with the current between islands being strong there. We were with a couple of photographers who loved the muck diving there. Mimpi Resort | Menjangan

Mimpi resorts are nice dive resorts. I stayed in both of their Menjangan & Tulamben resorts. You can pick bungalow with natural hot spring piped up directly to the jacuzzi right outside of your bedroom. The Tulamben bungalows are right in front of the SS Liberty wreck.

...For Padang Bai, luckily Geko now has some trips running to Biaha, Tepekong, and Penida while we'll be there, so that should work out great. Not sure how likely mola sightings will be in early November, but I get to see those at home in Monterey so no big deal. Sure, they may be lying in the sand, fins eaten off by sea lions, dead or dying, but it's still a mola, right? :)..

I dove in Nusa Penida in November several times but never have any luck seeing the Oceanic Mola Mola. The best time to see them is from July to September.

Sea Breeze is a hell of a lot nicer place to wait than anything in Padang Bai.

- Bill
How do you know, you never stayed at Puri Rai? We find Puri Rai is a nice place to stay, much more than the awkwardly designed Colonial for instance : lovely grounds behind the resort 3 swimming pools around which the rooms with terrace are located, we also find that Candi Dasa is certainly not worth the bother waiting for the driver/driving an hour per day.

Back
Top Bottom