Any diver out there been attacked by a big shark?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the diver didn't even let go of the camera.! What a trooper. Probably went back in on the next opportunity.

I’ve never been attacked by a shark. I have been attacked by humans, some were even big. I still dive with them

In another thread way back, there was discussion about powerbeads from an important angle; powerheads/bang sticks/etc...on the dive means they are also on the dive boat.

Think about the typical dive boat. Dive deck often fairly crowded, people occasionally stumble in their fins and gear, sometimes someone's bcd/tank/reg. combo. takes a dive off a dive bench... To say nothing of incidents of someone getting hit by a speargun underwater, or one diver accidentally running into another or kicking someone's mask off.

Now consider about how likely someone is to successfully defend himself from a dangerous (and no, the damselfish don't count!) oceanic predator on a dive using a powerhead.

Other divers would likely object, it'd be a risk hazard and contentious nightmare for the dive op.

Unless you have your own boat or shore dive, I doubt many people will be packing them.

I am not anti-gun; actually more of a 'stand your ground' guy, but in this situation, it's probably for the best.

Richard.

P.S.: And my 'stand your ground' stance does not extend to large sharks. I'd rather flee than stand and fight, given the viable choice.

So far I've stood my ground (of course I've no clue how much danger I may or may not have been in). In my head I could hear the screaming, "swim away, swim away!!" but then came the other voice in my head that said, "do you really think it a good idea to turn your back on a shark?" and so, both times there I remained in place and the sharks were the ones to take off much faster than they'd approached. Even after they'd left, I had a hard time to kick back over to be with my group. shiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom