Any diver out there been attacked by a big shark?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving, a friend gave me a couple "bang sticks" in case of sharks. I've never taken them out of my safe but one holds a 12ga shotgun shell and the other a 357m handgun round. It's a metal rod with a holder on the end for the round. You pull a pin out and then touching the end of it to something will push the round into a metal pin that fires the round. From what I hear, using one will generally result in blown eardrums for the user...so no practicing :).

I've never felt the need to carry either of them. Maybe if 3 of my friends had died by shark I'd feel differently. I probably did around 70 ocean dives before I saw my first shark. That time, it was about a 2 second glimpse as one swam by us on a reef dive in KL.

Someone early in this thread posted that it's happened "many times." I find that to be an exaggeration. There are relatively few fatal attacks on divers. The International Shark Attack File lists 66 unprovoked attacks world-wide last year out of 130 total. Of that, only 5% were on SCUBA divers (I don't surf!). Consider how many people die driving cars and that is a very small number... yet most people still drive!

Although I've dived in waters with great whites and had a few encounters, the only shark to ever "attack" me was an 18" horn shark and it was a provoked attack since I tried to move it for a better camera angle. When it started chomping on my wetsuit chest, I laughed so hard the reg fell out of my mouth.

Someone early in this thread posted that it's happened "many times." I find that to be an exaggeration. There are relatively few fatal attacks on divers. The International Shark Attack File lists 66 unprovoked attacks world-wide last year out of 130 total. Of that, only 5% were on SCUBA divers (I don't surf!). Consider how many people die driving cars and that is a very small number... yet most people still drive!

Although I've dived in waters with great whites and had a few encounters, the only shark to ever "attack" me was an 18" horn shark and it was a provoked attack since I tried to move it for a better camera angle. When it started chomping on my wetsuit chest, I laughed so hard the reg fell out of my mouth.

Any diver who gets a bite on a feeding dive or a baited dive or spearfsihing or (probably) where any hook and line fishing is occurring will be considered a "provoked" attack.

I've known several divers personally who have been attacked by sharks. Most would probably be considered "provoked", but that doesn't make the situation any less serious. I'm not sure of the best definition of "many", but I don't know anyone personally who has died in a motor vehicle accident.

When it comes to sharks I remember 2 things.

1. I am a land mammal that is not supposed to be underwater, they are apex underwater predators so I make sure I do not look or act like prey.

2. Take pictures

Shark Attack - unprovoked Great White Shark attack Northern California coast LeRoy French

First hand account of an unprovoked GWS attack September 1962 by Leroy French.

Bob

1962? Wonder if OP and/or other posters on this thread were even born yet.

As for me, I know two people attacked by horn sharks (used to be only the one but now dr.bill), no one bitten or killed by a shark as yet but sadly as to car accidents, have lost a lifelong friend and other friends and aquaintances. I've been in some wrecks myself but so far have walked away.

I've had two different sharks on different dives on opposite sides of the world deliberately approach me but no bite . . .phew, still a few tense moments there. I also accidentally rode a very large nurseshark on a night dive in the Maldives. Fortunately, the nurseshark was focused on getting somewhere and didn't seem to notice me at all. Phew . . .but hey, that was cool, not deliberate nor recommended but hey . . .what a ride!
In Belize, I had a much smaller nurseshark dart over and take a quick suck on a finger. That was distinctly startling for me and damned lucky that's all that came of it.

Other than those slightly scary episodes, I've also had a couple reef sharks sidle alongside whilst hooked in to watch the many other sharks swim back and forth. We eyed each other warily but none of us were interested in tasting one another. It was about riding the current.

Another dive, also in the Maldives, we came upon a shark nursery. So many little sharks! Some how I managed to get myself in the middle of them all and I twirled slowly like a ballerina, completely enchanted until the dive guide recognized some change that I had not and we skedaddled! Regardless, I'll still remember that as a magical moment.

Anyway so far, so good. And tomorrow I will drive my car around not being afraid but will still be trying to be careful.

Is it near Komodo that DMs use big sticks? Somewhere out there they always carry big sticks.

Cocos

89ECE97B-FE67-4712-BC48-A04CC0D3B45D.jpeg
D99E023F-68BF-4199-AFDE-A779A3F554ED.jpeg

When I first started diving, a friend gave me a couple "bang sticks" in case of sharks. I've never taken them out of my safe but one holds a 12ga shotgun shell and the other a 357m handgun round. It's a metal rod with a holder on the end for the round. You pull a pin out and then touching the end of it to something will push the round into a metal pin that fires the round. From what I hear, using one will generally result in blown eardrums for the user...so no practicing :).

I've never felt the need to carry either of them. Maybe if 3 of my friends had died by shark I'd feel differently. I probably did around 70 ocean dives before I saw my first shark. That time, it was about a 2 second glimpse as one swam by us on a reef dive in KL.

Yes, the 12 Guage powerhead can damage your eardrums and the .357 is still painfully loud! I have been underwater when both have been set off and it is not a pleasant experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom