Holding the DC2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I purchased a DC2000 about a month ago. It came with a strobe and video light and double tray.

I have not had a chance to actually dive with it but I have been in the pool with it a couple of times to get a feel for it's weight and function. I am really happy with my purchase however I have one thing that I can't seem to work through and I am wondering what everyone else does?

For these pool dives I have used the double tray and set up the strobe on the left side and video light on the right with the camera either in the middle or far right of the tray. This setup makes reaching the controls of the camera dicey at best with my big ole sausage fingers. Putting the camera all the way to the left feels unwieldy and seems like it is too close to the strobe (but maybe it's not in either case)

I have moved to this setup from a DCMicro 2.0 and video light on a single tray that I had really good results with and felt comfortable holding/using.

I am wondering how everyone else sets up their camera and lights? Is this just the newness of needing to hold it differently and a new setup? Should I plan on using only the strobe or the video light independently? (which seems to go against the reason of having both)

What say you? Dispense thy knowledge.

Strobe right, video left, when taking pictures hold camera in left and work any buttons with right. When traveling up and down anchor lines and moving around sometimes hold in right.

There are two ways to approach housing ergonomics. You're either going to operate it around the handles, or in the case of many compact housings, you'll want to hold the housing directly. The indicator (in my opinion) is whether you push the shutter button down, or pull a lever back to depress the shutter.

I would shift the DC2000 housing all the way left so you can get your hand inside the handle to focus and depress the shutter. Strobe on left and video light on right is what I would do. If you're using the Flex Connect system, make sure you have the flex extension to help move the strobe away from the camera.

Here are a couple videos on strobe positioning:

Basic Video:

Complete Tutorial Video:

Hope this helps!

Good stuff. Thanks for the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom