Rumor of airplane in John's Pond Mashpee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not far for me so I'm always game. this time of the year the better too before fisherman like myself and the weeds muck it up.

might want to do some research at the local library first. maybe pull some old newpapers and search for "plane crashes" or "military plane" or the like. do they still have micro-film? I bet it's all stored on hard drives so it'd be easier to search...

good luck, be safe

Know this is an old thread, maybe some of you still on here. Was diving in Johns Pond couple weeks ago, silty and horrible viz. Went in off the beach and on the return bumped my head into a car. Looked up to find a newer Hummer H2, not quite a plane but a very interesting find. Still had plates on it. Turns out after contacting the police it was a stolen vehicle from 2011 and was never found until now. They pulled it out the other day.

Know this is an old thread, maybe some of you still on here. Was diving in Johns Pond couple weeks ago, silty and horrible viz. Went in off the beach and on the return bumped my head into a car. Looked up to find a newer Hummer H2, not quite a plane but a very interesting find. Still had plates on it. Turns out after contacting the police it was a stolen vehicle from 2011 and was never found until now. They pulled it out the other day.

Now that's a cool find. What max depth did you reach?

I used to live in Falmouth and there were rumors for years about that plane. I didn't dive then but heard about it many times from fisherman friends. Could be just a local "urban myth." It sure would be cool. From what I remember, it's suposed to be fifty plus years old, we're not talking about an F16.
There is a plane in there, unless a salvage effort took place since 1949 without our knowing about it. I research and find WWII-era planes. Do you have any further info? I'm researching it and think I can find the pilot (age 97) and the family of the rescuer. I was at Johns Pond this weekend - it would be great to find the plane before the fall cold!

Rumors say that John's Pond in Mashpee covers some 317 acres and at the northern end of the pond (the side adjacent to the parking area), some divers claim that there is a military airplane on the bottom.

Anyone ever dive this freshwater pond and run across anything???

Jim
Hi Jim - There is a plane in there, unless a salvage effort took place since 1949 without our knowing about it. I research and find WWII-era planes. Do you have any further info? I'm researching it and think I can find the pilot (age 97) and the family of the rescuer. I was at Johns Pond this weekend - it would be great to find the plane before the fall cold! I have a file on this plane with news articles from the time and I'm fine with sharing info - My limitation is that I'm not a SCUBA diver.

Hi Jim - There is a plane in there, unless a salvage effort took place since 1949 without our knowing about it. I research and find WWII-era planes. Do you have any further info? I'm researching it and think I can find the pilot (age 97) and the family of the rescuer. I was at Johns Pond this weekend - it would be great to find the plane before the fall cold! I have a file on this plane with news articles from the time and I'm fine with sharing info - My limitation is that I'm not a SCUBA diver.
I am from here. I am a new diver, but I know the people that might have some information. I'll report back in a day or two.

Why not just engage with a fisherman sort who has a boat with side scan sonar? Pretty common these days. I always scan ramps and old roads. Should pop up pretty quickly if it is there unless it is especially deep.

very good suggestion. pond is max 70' deep. trying to narrow down location first then will join any volunteers. ideally before the cold sets in - thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom