Grand cayman August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shore diving here easy here. We go shore diving but usually when we are on limited time. Boat diving is so easy as well you cannot go wrong with either. As I mentioned all the ops on the west side will do pick up and drop off along the SMB corridor, The Westin is a great spot and it would be very lax if me not to throw in a huge plug for Casa 43 located across the street from Fosters grocery store. Awesome little spot

For sure you should go with one of the smaller operators for multiple reasons. They all pick up and drop off and tend to limit numbers on the dive boat.
You generally will also have more experienced divers on the boat with you.
Another advantage of a small op is that after a day or two, they will know you and vice versa.

Most of the west side operators keep their boats off West Bay Dock or the Yacht Club so as to be able to head west or north depending on conditions. In August, you should be able to get out to the north wall regularly.

Book in advance so as not to be disappointed.

Shore diving at Turtle Reef/Macabuca or Lighthouse is easy and quite beautiful. There are steps, showers, dip tanks and on site dive shops. The terrain is mini wall so near impossible to get lost. Try it, you'll like it. We tend to boat dive in AM and then do an afternoon or night dive from shore.
FYI, rental cars on GC are relatively cheap and taxis are expensive and IMO, unreliable.

I’ll be on GC soon and would like to try a little more shore diving. I’ve done Turtle reef and Lighthouse point. We’ll have some new divers along and Eden rock/Devils grotto looks like an easy dive for them to get used to OW salt and I see that Don Fosters and Sunset house offers shore dives. idivecayman shows a dive called Pedros reef which looks like a shore dive, is it so? Are some of the common snorkel sites such as Smiths cove, Rum point diveable?

I’ll be on GC soon and would like to try a little more shore diving. I’ve done Turtle reef and Lighthouse point. We’ll have some new divers along and Eden rock/Devils grotto looks like an easy dive for them to get used to OW salt and I see that Don Fosters and Sunset house offers shore dives. idivecayman shows a dive called Pedros reef which looks like a shore dive, is it so? Are some of the common snorkel sites such as Smiths cove, Rum point diveable?

Most of the dive ops on GC won't let you take tanks off the property to shore dive but places like Turtle Reef (Sundivers), Lighthouse Point (Divetech), Eden Rock (ER Dive Center), Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers), and Sunset House (Sunset Divers) all have dive ops onsite and you can rent tanks from them and shore dive the house reef.

The website for the Lobster Pot Dive Center in George Town states:
"...We have a calm, clear, shallow lagoon alongside the dive resort that’s ideal for shallow water dive training. And Soto's Reef is just a few fin kicks away for training dives and long, relaxed shore dives or snorkeling..."

I think that we shore dived that area years ago when we were diving with Bob Soto but I don't remember much about it. I try to avoid the George Town area when there are cruise ships in port.

If you want to try shore diving places without dive ops onsite, then you can go to Divers Supply and rent tanks for shore diving and they should be able to tell you about the best spots.

There's some good snorkeling sites up near Rum Point but I am not aware of any shore diving up there, but you could ask an East End dive op like Ocean Frontiers for advice and they can probably give you more information.

Will you be there in October? It's Restaurant Month and a lot of very nice restaurants are offering prix fixe menus for lunch and dinner at a reduced price, see the link below:

Restaurant Month Cayman 2019

You can rent tanks at Divers Supply. They are open 364 days a year. You should not take those tanks to places like Eden Rock, Lobster Pot, etc that rent tanks. Just talk to any of the dive/snorkel beach shops to have them point out boat lanes etc if you are going independently. Beware of the morons on jet skis. They have no idea about water etiquette, boat lanes or common sense! If you go boat diving note that just because smaller ops do not list packages, they give discount for multiple days. Many repeat guests think that is much nicer than getting stuck in a package especially if an ear other issue comes up. Happy diving!

For new divers, it's hard to beat Macabuca and Lighthouse Point for good shore diving (and great night diving). Make sure you go left and right at Macabuca and Lighthouse Point - so you can get 4 dives with typically great viz and little current - so, normally, very new-diver friendly (and still great for experienced divers too). Outbound follow the bottom of the miniwall and come back along the top! Usually lots to see!

Smith Cove is diveable - but the main reef is a good swim out and the cruise ship tenders are sometimes transiting that area at certain times of day - so be careful!

Cobalt Coast has a good shore dive as well (if conditions permit), but a little more navigation skill is required to get out and back - and you need to watch for the diveboats coming in and out to the dock when in the shallows.

Don Foster's is a decent shore (and night dive), but similar to nearby Eden Rock/Devil's grotto - not alot of healthy corals in that area - but still a fun dive!

Hepp's Pipeline is north of Macabuca and is a fantastic dive. If surface conditions and currents permit, you can surface swim to the white mooring ball north of Turtle Reef, drop down and follow the mini wall north. Really good dive, but maybe not the best choice for new divers!

Joneill is spot on, For new divers going from shore, sites with ladders, short swims and easy navigation would be best. For me that means Turtle Reef, Lighthouse, +/- Hepps, and Cobalt if conditions allow. I would not bother with Smiths Cove, Cemetery reef, or other snorkeling sites, the deeper reefs there do not warrant the bother. The sites south of town, Sunset, Fosters, Eden Rock are good for newbies as well but driving through town to get there on a cruise ship day can be a challenge.

Think I’m going to take them to Lighthouse point for the first 1-2 dives. The seal pool looks like a good place for weight checks, getting used to gear etc. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom