Malaria and Dengue in North Sulawesi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mosquitos that carry malaria and those that carry dengue are different species, with different breeding cycles active at different times of day. Dengue is most likely to be contracted by being bitten during the daytime (along with some of the other maladies not mentioned here like chikungunya), malaria at night. Also consider treated clothing but note that the treatment on the clothing (i.e., permethrin) only works if a mosquito lands then walks over it (more likely with the species that carry malaria) and less likely to work on a mosquito that lands and punches right through (dengue).
Yes - this sums it up. Don't think that mosquitos are only active at dusk onwards. Any time of day, particularly in the shady bit under the table. Use mosquito repellent and wear long trousers. Mosquitos punching through clothing? Oh yes, been there, seen it, felt the pain. Use repellent at least 12 inches up your leg from the bottom, and watch out for the back gap, you know - the gap when you sit down that is between the top of your trousers and the bottom of your shirt.

And also - please do not underestimate distances in Indonesia. It is vast from end to end. Papua is like as far from Sulawesi as East coast US is from West coast - or further. Jakarta on Java is very far from N Sulawesi. Basically why would someone in Manhattan expect malaria if there were three cases in Honalulu? Take mosquito repellent. Sometimes one sort doesn't work but another does. So take advice, either take two sorts or if yours doesn't work, buy local.

In over 20 years visiting, have never heard of malaria being a problem in N Sulawesi (think coast, breezes) but dengue is always around - don't get bitten, and that includes during the day.

Getting bitten in the room.
People think they are safe in their room. But they opened the door when the walked in didn't they? Most ops we have stayed with have been diligent about mosquito nets. But if they are tied up during the day, check that you don't trap insects when you roll them down. The hammock on the patio?
And then there is the inviting, moist, possibly shady environment of the bathroom. Have you ever noticed mosquitos like to lurk down in the toilet pan? Never mind bitten in the room - what about bitten in the bum. Have you ever had that feeling that you are not alone in the shower?
Yes, I may be humourous - but I take it very seriously. Favourite incident, washing in a stream in the middle of the jungle in the middle of the night with kerosene lamps (attracting insects). Only approach was to dance and swipe arms around like something out of a 1960s freak out. Funny, but serious.
Why don't repellent manufacturers make small pocket-size containers, like as small as a free-sample tube that you can carry with you at all times? I fill my own using free-samples containers.

Getting bitten in the room.
People think they are safe in their room. But they opened the door when the walked in didn't they? Most ops we have stayed with have been diligent about mosquito nets. But if they are tied up during the day, check that you don't trap insects when you roll them down. The hammock on the patio?
And then there is the inviting, moist, possibly shady environment of the bathroom. Have you ever noticed mosquitos like to lurk down in the toilet pan? Never mind bitten in the room - what about bitten in the bum. Have you ever had that feeling that you are not alone in the shower?
Yes, I may be humourous - but I take it very seriously. Favourite incident, washing in a stream in the middle of the jungle in the middle of the night with kerosene lamps (attracting insects). Only approach was to dance and swipe arms around like something out of a 1960s freak out. Funny, but serious.
Why don't repellent manufacturers make small pocket-size containers, like as small as a free-sample tube that you can carry with you at all times? I fill my own using free-samples containers.

Look for Bushmans repellant from Australia - pocket size roll on and very effective

Sometimes I travel with my own net, depending upon where I'm going to be spending the most time.

Chemical warfare is the only solution! I am afraid but won't bother with orally taken pills.
No one had informed the mossie to stay active only during certain time of the day. I got bitten under the midday sun in PNG!

I bring along coil if mossie is suspected, local brand is useless.

Look for Bushmans repellant from Australia - pocket size roll on and very effective

It’s 80% Deet. Good stuff - any brand that has similar %Deet is equally effective. The % only refers to how long it remains effective. 30% is usually enough.

It is very good stuff...I think people forget we have malaria zones in Australia and our northern islands like the Tiwis. I believe Amazon supplies it pretty much wherever Amazon may roam.

It is very good stuff...I think people forget we have malaria zones in Australia and our northern islands like the Tiwis. I believe Amazon supplies it pretty much wherever Amazon may roam.

Never mind DEET, that was some pisspoor reffing in the RWC today.

Trying to be all sportsmanship about it but there did appear to be some slight favouritism....regardless both teams put in a magnificent game. Being beaten in the RWC by Wales doesn't seem as personal as the usual beating we cop at the Bledisloe....wish we could do the Haka...that there and SBW are all the advantage the kiwis get

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom