Malaria and Dengue in North Sulawesi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got Dengue within 5 months of living in Sanur back in 2007 (thankfully never had it again) As Indah states, it seems to strike urban areas quite hard. Most people I know who live full time in Bali have had it at some point...

In two years of living in Lembeh Strait I didn't hear of anyone (staff or guests) getting Malaria. But we did have a few staff who contracted Dengue..

As mentioned above, prevention is best. Most resorts in that area will have some sort of mosquito coils or natural plants such as citranella around to also help

Isn't that a bit of a colonial statement : Locals... hmmh... what do they know?
Not at all, as it is equally applicable any place. You could replace locals with residents if it makes you feel better. People who live in areas that have a risk of malaria can't take malaria prophylaxis as none of them are designed for long-term use. So, if someone who lives in a place says they never take it - there are reasons for that other than there is no malaria risk. The tourist operations will know, they need to (although I have seen wrong advice there as well). Plus, the risk maps change over time. I have been in places in South Africa that were once high risk, and are now almost no risk - but maps showing it as high risk are still out there.

I did not hear personally of any case of malaria on central Halmahera for years. Nobody of our staff, nobody in the nearest villages and no family of our staff.
I know, the advice on Halmahera is mixed with some sources just mentioning the north side of the island, but most still talking about the whole island. Indonesia has been making great strides in reducing malaria incidence. I enjoyed my time at Weda very much and would recommend you to anyone.

We hardly know anythin
True, all antibiotics will affect the gut microbiome to some extent. I usually use malarone for that reason (and I don't have side effects). On the other hand there is some new research out of the U.S. Navy suggesting doxycycline can offer some benefits in cases where there are decompression illness symptoms (reported in the latest issue of Diver magazine, I could not find a peer-reviewed study to back it up yet). This does not mean it should be taken prophylactically to avoid DCS!! Just that all medicines have benefits and side effects.

Not at all, as it is equally applicable any place. You could replace locals with residents if it makes you feel better. People who live in areas that have a risk of malaria can't take malaria prophylaxis as none of them are designed for long-term use. So, if someone who lives in a place says they never take it - there are reasons for that other than there is no malaria risk. The tourist operations will know, they need to (although I have seen wrong advice there as well). Plus, the risk maps change over time. I have been in places in South Africa that were once high risk, and are now almost no risk - but maps showing it as high risk are still out there.
I have been a local/resident in south Pacific islands that is stated as malaria risk area, until I was 17 yo.That's where I caught dengue btw.
While it's true we didn't take any malaria meds , I think we knew and assessed much better when and where were the mosquito risks than those colonial folks in shorts and high socks coming to spread the good words in the outposts of some european empire.
By experience, saying that tourist operations 10.000 km away will know better is simply laughable (I know it's hard for brits or metro french to understand that but that's the way it goes). And THAT is what I call a colonial statement . Once again : ask the locals and SEA or Pacific islands are NOT Africa.

I've lived in Singapore for 19 years didn't get dengue heh. But that's because education for eradication helps.

Did not take anti-malaria tablets on my two trips to indo. Key is to do liveaboards and deet up on land excursions. There's no scientifically proven repellant other than deet.

There are no recommended dengue vaccines yet for tourists.

Picaridin 20% is comparable.

I take anti mosquito measures very seriously. I have type O blood which has been shown to be more attractive to mosquitos. I get bitten at all hours of the day, not just dawn and dusk. I get bitten when no one else does or when no one sees them. I wear Insect Shield clothing from ExOfficio when I’m on land or spray with 20% Picaridin if I want to go shorts and short sleeves. I’ve been eaten alive in a nice hotel room with AC.

I am highly allergic. Below is a photo of what ONE mosquito bite can do to me. I usually get multiple ones. Below that is what I sleep in even in air conditioned hotel rooms. Be diligent. I spend 2 months out of the year in SE Asia and have spent time in Raja and Sulawesi. I didn’t take anti-malarials and haven’t gotten Dengue. It takes a lot of planning and logistics - when to spray/wear clothing and how to minimize your risks.

Attachments

• DBCBF617-161C-483D-8865-D711AD6A2006.jpeg
    DBCBF617-161C-483D-8865-D711AD6A2006.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DCD1225D-8BDB-49D1-BD24-CCAABF4BB116.jpeg
    DCD1225D-8BDB-49D1-BD24-CCAABF4BB116.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 76
Puhleez. Here’s one day’s “production” in Roatan. Lets talk mosquito magnet.

7434D41E-A739-4033-A496-8A932D276097.jpeg

@tridacna yours look more like sandfly (noseeum) bites than mosquitoes to me.

Unfortunately, I’m JUST as attractive to mosquitoes as sandflies. CO2 is me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom