Raja Ampat itinerary & LOB advice: Damai 2 or Blue Manta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YYCdivers

New
Reaction score
Hello fellow divers,

We are hoping to dive in RA in March of 2020. Based on dates and availability, we have narrowed things down to either Blue Manta or Damai II. We understand that Damai II has fewer divers and is perhaps a little more luxurious, but we are there for the diving, not the boat!

The 12N Damai II trip starts from Triton Bay with dives at Momon, Pulau Pisang, Misool area, Penemu and Dampier Strait before ending in Sorong.

The 10N (30 dive) Blue Manta trip is round-trip from Sorong and includes Daram, Misool (12 dives: Wayil, Fiabacet & Boo, Balubulol & Farondi), Pianemu, Manta ridge and Dampier Strait, Kri area, and Misokon Island.

We may not make it back to the region ever again, so were wondering which itinerary was the better of the two. Is it worth the extra time and expense to dive Triton Bay/Momon/Pisang with Damai II or are we better concentrating our diving in Raja Ampat proper with Blue Manta?

(Our most recent LOB trip was in the Maldives with ScubaSpa where we saw lots and lots of sharks, mantas, and ever a whale shark, so we are more interested in smaller, colourful stuff on this trip....)

Thanks for sharing your collective wisdom!

Matt
Vancouver, Canada

Why are you convinced you will go only once?

I thought I'd go there once, back in 2009. My 8th one will be in Jan 2020. :)

Raja Ampat 14-25 Jan 2020 with Amira $837 off

I've been to Palau, Socorro, Galapagos, Cocos, GBR, Maldives, Red Sea, Komodo, Alor, Ambon, Lembeh, Maratua, Banda Sea, but, keep coming back to Raja Ampat. :D

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Seems like the longer itinerary with Damai which includes Triton Bay is the group favourite. Perhaps it will be the first of many trips to RA?

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Seems like the longer itinerary with Damai which includes Triton Bay is the group favourite. Perhaps it will be the first of many trips to RA?

It will probably be the first of many. I don't have the resources of our friend Dan but I've been 3 times and can't wait to return.

I've been on both, food wise, Damai is the best. For other stuff I'll choose the blue manta. Depends what is important for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom