Crystal River or Devil’s Den?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pancakes74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hiya fellow mermaids and mermen!

We’re headed to the Keys at the end of October (first time, so excited!!!) After spending 10 days in Key Largo, we’re going to make our way up to Savannah. We plan on stopping to do some freshwater diving; would you recommend Devil’s Den or the Crystal River? Or somewhere else altogether? One item on my wish list is to swim/snorkel with a manatee.. not sure if they’re in the DD area. Thanks in advance!!!

Manatees are closer to Florida's West Coast. Devil's Den is more Central Florida. It is a novelty, and can be a little crowded on weekends. Not far from Devil's Den there is Rainbow River, near Ocala, It is a gem. I could dive it over and over. River bottom varies widely, visibility is tremendous, and the current is easily manageable. Saw a large gar fish hanging out. There can be surface traffic so a bouy with flag is towed. Our Sunday morning dive was quiet.

I was out there last winter, did manatee snorkeling, rainbow river drift and devils den. All 3 are within 45 min of each other, easy to do all 3 over 2 days. Manatees are hit or miss, if it gets a few degrees warmer the manatees head out into open water to get food. if you stay in crystal city there is a dive shop that will package all 3 for you, a little pricy but convenient.

If you want Manatees and find yourself in Crystal River, you will want to go to Three Sisters. It is a shallow spring boil. No scuba during Manatee season, just snorkel. Last time I was there there were about three hundred Manatees. That also means three hundred piles of Manatee poop floating around in the water too.

You are unlikely to find any Manatees at Devils Den as it is land locked. Crystal River, King Spring can be a nice dive. Sometimes manatee will approach you, but you can get into trouble if you chase or harass them. Sisters spring seems to be where they congregate in large numbers lately, but as has been stated, that’s a snorkel only spot.

I would put Blue Grotto and Ginnie Springs on your list too. No manatees at Blue Grotto either. They do show up on rare occasions at Ginnie.

DD and CR both suck.

Hospital Hole will certainly have Manatees if the temp dips a little.

DD and CR both suck.

Add Blue Grotto to that list.

Ginnie is passable during the weekend, not a bad dive simply expensive during the week. I really wish they had weekend/holiday rates, and during the week rates.

Add Blue Grotto to that list.

Ginnie is passable during the weekend, not a bad dive simply expensive during the week. I really wish they had weekend/holiday rates, and during the week rates.

BG can be a beautiful and fun dive, if you get there when it’s not crowded. Weekdays are best, and of course NO manatees.

What about Blue Springs, near Deltona? I know they allow diving, and get Manatees. ...just not sure If that would be a good option for the op..

If you just want to see Manatees, then think about Homosassa Springs. They have an underwater observation room, and I think they have them There year round, as a rehab sanctuary.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom