Airlines in Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bumping this thread after a couple more trips and reviews posted to the site.

Any update with airline experiences?

Looking into December, I can fly Batik buisness class round trip for only about $50 more than Garuda economy, which is both great and somewhat alarming lol. I realize Garunda is branded as the prime airline of Indo, and is more known internationally (which I am sure is reflected in the price).

I have read a lot of the info posted on here and was hoping for some updates and opinions.

Bumping this thread after a couple more trips and reviews posted to the site.

Any update with airline experiences?

Looking into December, I can fly Batik buisness class round trip for only about $50 more than Garuda economy, which is both great and somewhat alarming lol. I realize Garunda is branded as the prime airline of Indo, and is more known internationally (which I am sure is reflected in the price).

I have read a lot of the info posted on here and was hoping for some updates and opinions.

Yes, I do. Just came back from Indonesia, read: Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019

We took domestic flights:
NAM air: Denpasar-Maumere on 9 September, 2019
Lion air: Ambon-Makassar-Denpasar on 19 September, 2019.

The flights were non-event, smooth, but arrived an hour later in Denpasar.

NAM air allows additional 5kg free checkin baggage if you declare it containing dive gears. Mine weighed 25 kg. I carried on a 10kg backpack & 10kg suitcase with no additional charge.

Originally our group scheduled to fly from Ambon to Makassar with Batik Air, but the flight was cancelled on the day of our departure. They moved 6 of us to Lion air. They weighed all of our 6 checkin luggages, but did not charge us anything for our checkin & carryon luggages. I heard others paid up to as much as Rp.2,000,000 for their luggages.

Batik business gives you 30kg of baggage. Garuda economy gives you 20kg plus 23 kg scuba gear. Excess baggage on Batik for Jakarta to Ambon was $64 USD for 10kg extra in economy. (I needed 30, only had 20kg originally). Garuda is a more reliable airline as far as on time departures and arrivals, better communication, and even a better website to serve yourself. You can buy through Garuda directly with a foreign credit card (outside Indonesia) but not Batik.

Adventures of flying in Indonesia and all this happened in the matter of weeks...

Mr OOO booked a Batik flight and when we contacted Nusatrip to add baggage we were then told it was cancelled but no email from Nusatrip or Batik. We booked onto Garuda instead and after a while they also had a flight change or cancel but they emailed us. The change was 24 hours later which didn’t work for us. They happily offered to refund or let us pick from other options and no extra charge.

I booked my Batik flight on Nusatrip as it was the only one that worked for my schedule and they issued a ticket with my name as Ms. outofofficebrb. Batik and Nusatrip website doesn’t allow me to add excess baggage online so I called Batik directly to add. That’s when they told me they had me down as MR outofofficebrb. After some whatsapping of my passport to confirm, they made the change but someone messed that one up and I could have been hassled at the airport had I not called in. It’s good they always confirm the passenger name and salutation along with the flight details. In addition, they changed the flight from 12:30 AM to 12:10 AM. It worked for me but what if it didn’t? Again, no email from anyone.

I eventually added my baggage without issue but the whole time, even when the ticket came with 20kg, the Lion Air website that shows your Batikbooking confirmation and details always said 0kg. After I added 10kg, it still said 0kg. Nusatrip confirmed it was added but that it wasn’t showing even on the reissued ticket but that Batik confirmed it was 30kg in their system. The new ticket showed 20kg, the original amount, as well. Nervous, I printed that email out. I didn’t bother printing my one time payment confirmation email from Nusatrip which was for the excess baggage as it isn’t itemized for what it is.

Long story short, it showed correctly at 30kg when I checked in and I arrived Ambon without issues. Mr OOO hasn’t left yet but hopefully it goes smoothly for him too.

You can buy through Garuda directly with a foreign credit card (outside Indonesia) but not Batik.

Batik with USA credit card?

CITI works just fine for me, Batik takes my card and I get an e-ticket emailed straight away.

Booked at batikair.com - three years in a row. Never late, never lost a bag.

Image 9-28-19 at 2.41 PM.jpg

CITI works just fine for me, Batik takes my card and I get an e-ticket emailed straight away.

View attachment 542373

It wouldn’t work for me 3 years in a row. I first tried in 2017. I called my card company and they don’t even get a request for transaction. Batik’s side says it fails or is not approved. It’s weird. I have read about others having the same trouble which is even more strange.

View attachment 542373

Good for you. I tried & failed and ended up using nusatrip.com. For my next trip to Raja Ampat, Raja Ampat 14-25 Jan 2020 with Amira $837 off Amira trip organizer bought the domestic flight ticket CGK-SOQ-CGK for me.

Anybody who want to book or booked Sriwijaya better check.

True.

And, as a general rule, anybody who books or wants to book a budget airline in Indo better keep checking.

- Bill
sorry, I should have been more clear. They cancelled all flights as far as we know and could be bankrupt.

True.

And, as a general rule, anybody who books or wants to book a budget airline in Indo better keep checking.

- Bill

Keep checking Garuda too. They completely cancelled my flight the day of departure. I can't remember exactly how I found out about it but was already at airport for checkin. I was put on a flight to Jakarta instead with a longish layover then another flight to Bali.

I was choked as had specifically picked the original flight to avoid going through Jakarta.

In any event, what I'm trying to say is that it isn't just the small airlines. Garuda does it too with no notice. I'm just grateful that there was no liveaboard involved, only a loss of many paid hours of sleep at a hotel in Bali.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom