Komodo, Amed/Tulemben +?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the currents around Alor can be worse during a new moon than a full moon but I could be wrong.
As for the house reef, it is nice to have it but you do have to use a boat to access it and you can not dive solo there. I dove it 2x during my stay. And no night dives as the boats are not allowed to go at night.

Try to dive the SS Liberty wreck ~ 5am when the schooling Bumphead parrotfish & brown-marbled groupers are waking up & searching out for their breakfast. It's an awesome scene.

I think the currents around Alor can be worse during a new moon than a full moon but I could be wrong.
As for the house reef, it is nice to have it but you do have to use a boat to access it and you can not dive solo there. I dove it 2x during my stay. And no night dives as the boats are not allowed to go at night.

I’ve been in contact with Gilles, and he advised full moon would be best chance to see the HH. And anyway the itinerary is now Bali-Komodo- Alor, makes good sense I think:)

Not sure I understand about the house reef? Alor Divers states included in price is 2 boat dives pr day and unlimited house reef? But you need a boat for the house reef?

Since we’ll be 3 divers I was hoping we could dive in pairs and last person could snorkel with the youngest.

Try to dive the SS Liberty wreck ~ 5am when the schooling Bumphead parrotfish & brown-marbled groupers are waking up & searching out for their breakfast. It's an awesome scene.

Thank you. We did this last time we stayed in Amed and found out why the bump heads are called bump heads - they do BUMP heads. We could feel the shock wave and at first I thought someone was dynamite fishing (yes it was that loud!)

Epic dive!!!

However there’s too many divers and it’s a bit too early for comfort, so most likely we’ll go with “two fish” in Amed to (try to) get away from the crowds.

As for the house reef, it is nice to have it but you do have to use a boat to access it and you can not dive solo there. .
1- yes you could (be wrong) because everything depends on the tide. you'd also have a no current situation at slack tide in both full or new moons. The purpose of the question here is not much about currents but the period where you could spot interesting stuff.
2- have to disagree (been 3 times at Alor Divers), you can dive the house reef without the speedboat, it's easier but you dont need to. also you can have night dives on the housereef left side of the resort without taking the boat.
To reply to @diveUAE : usually the staff gets you to the speed boat in a dugout canoe. you can kit up and start from here or they will ride 2mins to a dropping place on the housereef wall.

1- yes you could (be wrong) because everything depends on the tide. you'd also have a no current situation at slack tide in both full or new moons. The purpose of the question here is not much about currents but the period where you could spot interesting stuff.
2- have to disagree (been 3 times at Alor Divers), you can dive the house reef without the speedboat, it's easier but you dont need to. also you can have night dives on the housereef left side of the resort without taking the boat.
To reply to @diveUAE : usually the staff gets you to the speed boat in a dugout canoe. you can kit up and start from here or they will ride 2mins to a dropping place on the housereef wall.

Thank you for the clarification! Dugout canoe? Sounds like an adventure- especially for our little one:)

Thank you for the clarification! Dugout canoe? Sounds like an adventure- especially for our little one:)
It's only a 50m trip to the beach sometimes on 30cm deep water.at low tide. And they probably changed the local wooden canoe by the time (not been for 3 years).
Don't be scared the speedboats are very nice :D .

Thank you. We did this last time we stayed in Amed and found out why the bump heads are called bump heads - they do BUMP heads. We could feel the shock wave and at first I thought someone was dynamite fishing (yes it was that loud!)
Epic dive!!!
However there’s too many divers and it’s a bit too early for comfort, so most likely we’ll go with “two fish” in Amed to (try to) get away from the crowds.
Well Amed is much more crowded than Tulamben ! o_O

My top 5 dive sites in Amed area :

1) Gili Selang
2) Wild Wild East
3) Kusambi
4) Golden Rock
5) Waterloo
6) Japanese Shipwreck
7) Bunutan
8) Deep Blue
9) Pyramids

Well that's 8 i could chose only 5. As luko said all are past Bunutan but Pyramids. Only a handful dive center go there so pick carefuly, Bali Dive Trek, Baliku or Baruna can take you there, probably some others but i doubt.

My top 5 dive sites in Amed area :

1) Gili Selang
2) Wild Wild East
3) Kusambi
4) Golden Rock
5) Waterloo
6) Japanese Shipwreck
7) Bunutan
8) Deep Blue
9) Pyramids

Well that's 8 i could chose only 5. As luko said all are past Bunutan but Pyramids. Only a handful dive center go there so pick carefuly, Bali Dive Trek, Baliku or Baruna can take you there, probably some others but i doubt.

Thank you! Very helpful. Do you mind sharing why you prefer those sites?
I thought Gili Selang was out of Padangbai?

I was thinking of diving with Two Fish, will check, if they go to these sites and check out the others you recommend.

While staying in Amed we might only do 3-4 days of diving anyway, since we’re staying with family:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom