Southwest To Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Business class actually makes sense financially. It's very close to the same cost as a coach ticket and you get the aforementioned perks. Also, you get to skip the long lines in all the airports as both bus/first are separate there too.

I guess if you really want to fly on the cheap, southwest is ideal. If you're going to be checking a couple bags, and carrying on two more... having that snack and soda on the flight, etc.. I bet it's not all that much cheaper than a ticket on American.

Ok, like first off, I play the credit card points game and I get the A List SW frequent flyer, so I get to skip all those lines too. I used the flyby lane in security which is usually shorter than precheck. That means I have to take my laptop out, but keep my shoes on and use the metal detector instead of the MRI.

And on Southwest : Two bags free, snacks free and they send me drink coupons for free drinks to get me started. NO EXTRA COST.

Now you if you think business class and cattle class are close in price on those expensive airlines, te salud, Don Corleone...

See 1:38

Business class actually makes sense financially. It's very close to the same cost as a coach ticket and you get the aforementioned perks. Also, you get to skip the long lines in all the airports as both bus/first are separate there too.

I guess if you really want to fly on the cheap, southwest is ideal. If you're going to be checking a couple bags, and carrying on two more... having that snack and soda on the flight, etc.. I bet it's not all that much cheaper than a ticket on American.

That has not been my experience even remotely, at least on United out of Houston. Looking at a mid-December itinerary now I get Basic Economy $463, Economy $520, and Business $809. That's about 75% higher than BE and %50 higher than Economy. I don't know how the upper 1% roll but a $300 difference to me is significant. That's pretty typical of what I see. First Class is even more and sometimes flatout ridiculous. I might pay $300 more for Business on a 16 hour flight overseas but I can sit on a bus for two hours.

Plus, when I book with a United Explorer card my first checked bag is free so even less incentive to upgrade. We've flown FC several times on upgrades and it is a nice experience but not nice enough that we would ever pay the whopping difference.

I have no idea what you're saying about Southwest. The more bags you have, the cheaper SWA is by comparison. I do want to fly on the cheap. I'm not spending hundreds of dollars more to be marginally more comfortable for a few hours when I think of all the better things I could use it for once I get there.

At those prices it might be worth driving to Houston from Austin and flying from there; that was never the case with Continental or United. What do the flight times look like?

Hi Gordan,

Two flights a day. One at 11:50am and the other at 6pm. On the return, 9am and 2:55pm.

Each has it's advantages and downsides.

The $99 seats HOU-CZM all sold for March and April thru their cutoff on the 13th. Some $157 fares going can be found, and a few $173 fares remain.

Hi Gordan,

Two flights a day. One at 11:50am and the other at 6pm. On the return, 9am and 2:55pm.

So it sounds like the planes are overnighting in Cozumel.

Hi Gordan,

Are those arrival or departure times?

You think? The crew says the never do in CUN but some other tropic spots.

I'm just going by the departure times. Assuming they are using the same aircraft. The first activity of the day is the 9am departure from CZM, well before the first arrival of 2pm. And the last activity of the day is the 8pm arrival in CZM. I doubt they are flying an empty plane back to Houston at 9pm and then flying an empty plane back down to Cozumel at 6am.

I'm just going by the departure times. Assuming they are using the same aircraft. The first activity of the day is the 9am departure from CZM, well before the first arrival of 2pm. And the last activity of the day is the 8pm arrival in CZM. I doubt they are flying an empty plane back to Houston at 9pm and then flying an empty plane back down to Cozumel at 6am.

I gotcha. I read the wrong times! Sorry

Back
Top Bottom