The "Hate Symbols Database" expands to include "OK" hand gesture and "Bowlcut" hairstyle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Buddhist swastika is quite different from the Nazi swastika. They are rotated 45 degrees to each other and are mirrored. Except for the superficial appearance, they have nothing in common.

Many years ago I had my first trip to Japan. I did several double-takes over the city maps before I understood that difference. The standard symbol on those maps for a Buddhist temple was the Buddhist swastika.

Doesn't matter. The average bog standard person neither knows nor cares what the difference is. Y'all are proving my point for me. Everyone is rushing to talk about how it doesn't mean this or it doesn't mean that and it was co-opted by people and used for evil.

Huh....kinda like the ok sign..... and the media just laps it all up. This will all go away eventually, once the next pearl clutching moment occurs.

Doesn't matter. The average bog standard person neither knows nor cares what the difference is. Y'all are proving my point for me. Everyone is rushing to talk about how it doesn't mean this or it doesn't mean that and it was co-opted by people and used for evil.

Huh....kinda like the ok sign..... and the media just laps it all up. This will all go away eventually, once the next pearl clutching moment occurs.
I believe we basically agree, but are a bit at odds with the arguments. Sorry for trying to inject a bit of perspective here.

Some swastikas are innocuous, some aren't. That's my point.

I looked through that list and you're in trouble as soon as you count to 3.

Many of the hate symbols are so obscure as to be meaningless.

The Buddhist swastika is quite different from the Nazi swastika. They are rotated 45 degrees to each other and are mirrored. Except for the superficial appearance, they have nothing in common.

Many years ago I had my first trip to Japan. I did several double-takes over the city maps before I understood that difference. The standard symbol on those maps for a Buddhist temple was the Buddhist swastika.
I have a three volume collection of Rudyard Kipling's work, published in London in 1920. All three leather bound volumes have a large swastika on the spine, just below the title. A number of other old volumes in my collection have swastikas, including a copy of Samuel Clemens "Innocents Abroad". An antique bronze reclining Buddha I bought in Nepal long ago has a swastika on his chest. All are identical to the Nazi hakenkreuz except they are not tilted on an axis.

The OK sign also means "a$$hole" in Brazil and a few other places.

DW

All are identical to the Nazi hakenkreuz except they are not tilted on an axis.
IME they're also mirrored

So now that this hand signal has been designated as “not okay” am I to assume the diver is in distress or just racist? This is very confusing...

98E1C983-441D-4C10-B749-5B9F3C2BF242.jpeg

IME they're also mirrored
I agree. Most that I've seen hook to the left, including the swastika on my seated statue of the Buddha. All my book swastikas hook to the right.

I am almost 50, as a kid we played the upside down "ok" sign game. Hold your hand fingers pointed down at waist level and when someone looks down, you get to take a free good natured punch. Every now and then I still see kids playing variations on the theme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom