Regulator servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey perfectly safe just take your gear as is and go diving

If need be they can inspect it at the destination

Reassurance you must provide yourself

Hello. I purchased a brand new Aqualung Calypso regulator about 4 years ago. I used it just twice. I was just invited to go on a last-minute dive trip on Oct 11 and all my local shops take about 3 weeks to service a regulator. Do you think it's safe to dive this regulator as is (after testing it out at a dive shop) or should I just rent gear at my trip destination (Dominican Republic)? I prefer to use my own gear, of course, but I'm a little nervous since this is my life support equipment, after all! Thanks in advance for your help.

You didn’t mention when you last used your regulator, but if you are confident that you rinsed it well and didn’t flood 1st stage, just find a way to put it on a tank and breath, ideally also checking IP. You are going to Dominican Republic, not the Andrea Doria, you’ll be fine.

Any competent shop should need no more than 48-72 hours to service a regulator. Especially now that it is off season up north.

That sounds about right, but I'm at almost month 4 with a reg set I had Divers Supply servicing.... so even some reputable shops sometimes don't live up to expectations.

That sounds about right, but I'm at almost month 4 with a reg set I had Divers Supply servicing.... so even some reputable shops sometimes don't live up to expectations.
I don't know Divers Supply, but it seems like there might be more to the tale than just taking a long time.
Are they by any chance waiting for parts and/or service kits that are currently unavailable from the manufacturer? Because if so, that is NOT on them. For many older items, and even parts that are not expected to need replacement on current items, ordering "as needed" is pretty much the norm rather than maintaining an inventory of parts that may never be touched.

I don't know Divers Supply, but it seems like there might be more to the tale than just taking a long time.
Are they by any chance waiting for parts and/or service kits that are currently unavailable from the manufacturer? Because if so, that is NOT on them. For many older items, and even parts that are not expected to need replacement on current items, ordering "as needed" is pretty much the norm rather than maintaining an inventory of parts that may never be touched.
Any of the Huish brands (Oceanic, Atomic, Zeagle) are having a hard time getting parts out the door.

I dropped off an older Scubapro reg set with a transmitter I wanted sent in at the end of May. In August I went in and inquired about the status, they had the parts kit but the service tech wasn't there, still hadn't done anything with the transmitter (oceanic). I reiterated I wanted the transmitter sent in and refurbished at that point in early August. Three weeks ago they called and asked me what I wanted done with the transmitter, and again I told them. Friday of the week before last, they called and told me my transmitter was in. I asked about the regs, heard that the regs were ready except putting the transmitter back on, agreed to pick everything up last monday. Monday, they tell me the paperwork wasn't ready, but they'll have ready in ~10 minutes. That's when they found the 1st stage had a leak after service, so the regs aren't actually ready. Took the transmitter home, still waiting on the first stage getting ready so the rest of the reg set is ready.

I'm going with they've got some issues with their service department and not planning on taking anything else to get serviced by Scuba Gear at Divers-Supply 40 years in business! at this point.

I dropped off an older Scubapro reg set with a transmitter I wanted sent in at the end of May. In August I went in and inquired about the status, they had the parts kit but the service tech wasn't there, still hadn't done anything with the transmitter (oceanic). I reiterated I wanted the transmitter sent in and refurbished at that point in early August. Three weeks ago they called and asked me what I wanted done with the transmitter, and again I told them. Friday of the week before last, they called and told me my transmitter was in. I asked about the regs, heard that the regs were ready except putting the transmitter back on, agreed to pick everything up last monday. Monday, they tell me the paperwork wasn't ready, but they'll have ready in ~10 minutes. That's when they found the 1st stage had a leak after service, so the regs aren't actually ready. Took the transmitter home, still waiting on the first stage getting ready so the rest of the reg set is ready.

I'm going with they've got some issues with their service department and not planning on taking anything else to get serviced by Scuba Gear at Divers-Supply 40 years in business! at this point.
Got it. Sounds like at part of that excessive delay was absolutely within their control, and there was an opportunity to do better.

After Divers Supply poorly tuned my HOG reg set—a brand for which they are the premier dealer—I decided I was going to learn to service my own. I took the course there.

if you only used it twice, well rinsed after the dive and not freeflowing [or can be adjusted to stop] than don't worry... I would put it in water before hoking it up , just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom