Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makes all the hoopla about straws seem silly.

My point exactly. At any point in time if someone looks around and takes notice of everything around them that is made of plastic they will quickly realize it is absolutely everywhere and virtually all of it will end up in the trash some day. Plastic straws and grocery bags represent such a minute fraction of the total plastic produced it is almost pointless to eliminate them. The lack of CONTAINMENT of all the plastic trash is the real immediate problem.

Cozumel thinks it has a problem? Don't bother going to Bali!

The single BEST thing that could happen to the earth, right now, is for it to run OUT of oil...PERIOD.

Its not the oil its the people burning it. You want to "help" the earth heal, get rid of a chunk of the population.

Don't worry I'm betting nature will work it out. We are ripe for a big pandemic.

I see people posting about going to other locations to dive during this Cozumel reef closure. However, I think it may just be a matter of time before all these reefs are compromised by humans.

Its not the oil its the people burning it. You want to "help" the earth heal, get rid of a chunk of the population.

Don't worry I'm betting nature will work it out. We are ripe for a big pandemic.

Oh I completely agree. Nobody is going to let off the 'oil gas pedal' until it runs out or there isn't anyone left to step on the pedal...

We are ripe for a big pandemic.

We are actually past due for one by historical standards. Take heart, one is coming at some point that will cull the global population... The bugs are evolving much faster than humanity can formulate new antibiotics. A new class of antibiotics hasn't been developed since 1962. All new antibiotics brought to market over the past 30 years have simply been variations of existing drugs.

We are actually past due for one by historical standards. Take heart, one is coming at some point that will cull the global population... The bugs are evolving much faster than humanity can formulate new antibiotics. A new class of antibiotics hasn't been developed since 1962. All new antibiotics brought to market over the past 30 years have simply been variations of existing drugs.

Evolution, it solves all problems and things work out for everyone... unless you are the problem.

Not to throw stones but you might want to ask the management of Iberostar where EXACTLY does their waste go ? and have them prove it to you if they can. Call them out ( the Iberostars, and beach clubs, etc.

Chicken Little I am not, but it does seem that the world turned a corner on the idea of global warming this week.

Maybe I will ask them when I'm there. They spend a great deal of effort advertising they are a green resort and I've seen proof of that staying there. Signs in all the washrooms advising guests not to flush anything in the toilet other than what you've put in there yourself... no toilet paper or personal items. They have ferrel cats all over who keep the rodent population in check, they spray environmentally mosquito repellent in the evenings to keep down the mosquito population. You can read about it on their website. I have not seen anything in the water in front of their resort or suspected waste is entering anywhere near there but who knows. I can't comment on the beach clubs , don't go to them, that's where the cruise ship people go I think. Not quite sure what you mean by throw stones though .... or chicken little....maybe I'm not understanding your comments.

I am almost certain that ALL the southern AI's and Beach clubs are more of a problem than the cruise ships.

Since the early nineties if you pooped there, it stayed there. On the other hand, in town you cannot build a house without a sewer connection for many years. And I have reason to suspect that they adequately treat the sewage, but maybe not with the growth of the last 10 years.

It is right for all of you to question those southern resorts about their sanitation systems. I'd bet most of them are the problem.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Signs in all the washrooms advising guests not to flush anything in the toilet other than what you've put in there yourself... no toilet paper or personal items.
I doubt this has anything to do with being green, but simply a limitation of the way the systems are designed in some places.

Back
Top Bottom