Streamlined Gear for AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idrivea911

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone have pictures of their gear setup in semi-streamlined way?

As I gear up for my Advanced Certification dives, I'm wondering how do people setup something streamlined? On top of the normal octopus, gauges, BCD (mine's a hybrid wing style), I'm now adding a retractable compass, tablet, SMB w/ reel, flashlights. I've got a setup where I can tuck the tablet and SMB into my BC waist strap, but it just seems like I've got a lot of stuff hanging off me. This is very apparent when I ditch all my gear and just swim around with my fins and wetsuit.

Lose the gauge cluster and one hose in exchange for an AI wrist computer.

Trade the thick hose with large SPG for a thin Milex hose with mini spg as backup to AI.

Compass on a slate on retractor in BCD pocket along with backup computer and GPS Satellite locator device.

Accessory pocket for foldable snorkel that I've been carrying for years and never used.

Only thing clipped to my BCD is reel, SMB and dive light.

I've played around with pockets for SMB and dive lights found them to be more bulky than just clipping the item off.

I've considered shorts with pockets but consider it to be yet another gear up step and something else to pack and carry around, that really isn't necessary just to hold a couple of items that are fine where they are.

you can make different size retainers out of bungee cord (1/8 or 1/4) to hold things tight against you.

SPG on left hip D-ring, or alternately clipped off on left shoulder D-ring.
Compass on left wrist.
Computer on Right wrist.
Loses the console entirely with above suggestions.
Don’t use any retractors, they are not needed and are clutter. All I’ve ever seen them do is get hung up on stuff.
For regs, use a Long hose on 40” hose run under right arm with swivel connector on 2nd stage for primary, and bungeed octo under chin on 18”-22” hose.
Or,
Air2 with 40” primary under arm with swivel. Both of the above are primary donate. A lot of people trash talk Air2’s but If you know how to use one they are fine.
A BC that is not too complicated and fairly simple that is not too padded and bulky and/or sticks out everywhere, or BP/W.
Don’t have anything dangling and keep your frontside clean. Any lights etc. keep tucked against your body with bungees/innertube etc.
Keep accessories to a minimum.
A good rule is that if you don’t need it don’t take it.
Use fins that have a single stretchy strap such as spring straps or thick solid rubber or thick bungee, and no folding or latching buckles. Anything that can get hooked and undone will, that’s just the rule of the ocean.

full.jpg

SPG on left hip D-ring, or alternately clipped off on left shoulder D-ring.
Compass on left wrist.
Computer on Right wrist.
Loses the console entirely with above suggestions.
Don’t use any retractors, they are not needed and are clutter. All I’ve ever seen them do is get hung up on stuff.
For regs, use a Long hose on 40” hose run under right arm with swivel connector on 2nd stage for primary, and bungeed octo under chin on 18”-22” hose.
Or,
Air2 with 40” primary under arm with swivel. Both of the above are primary donate. A lot of people trash talk Air2’s but If you know how to use one they are fine.
A BC that is not too complicated and fairly simple that is not too padded and bulky and/or sticks out everywhere, or BP/W.
Don’t have anything dangling and keep your frontside clean. Any lights etc. keep tucked against your body with bungees/innertube etc.
Keep accessories to a minimum.
A good rule is that if you don’t need it don’t take it.
Use fins that have a single stretchy strap such as spring straps or thick solid rubber or thick bungee, and no folding or latching buckles. Anything that can get hooked and undone will, that’s just the rule of the ocean.

Lots of good advice in here, but if you're talking about AOW class in recreational gear I might treat this as aspirational rather than something you should immediately go do, unless you just have lots of spare money to drop. For now, no reason to change up your regulator set up, your console or your dive computer, unless you just want to. Jillions of people do AOW dives without making those changes or spending the coin. It will not make any meaningful difference for your class.

I'm not saying the advice is bad. To the contrary, lot of good food for thought there and I personally dive a setup very much like what is described (save the Air2, which is another debated issue and I am on the side that doesn't like them). The point is you can do a lot of streamlining without doing any of those things and you'll be just fine. If you want to go down that path because you think they are good changes for you, that's great, but don't let your class be the driver. If you are going down a technical path, then you need to talk to your instructor.

I agree with staying away from retractors. Too much dangling and entanglement issues. I used to think they were great and lived in fear of dropping something. Don't worry about it. Ditch them.

Just get away from danglies. Simple bolt snap attachments for your gear with bungee or rubber band/inner tube to hold them down.

Use your pockets for your slate. SMB and spool too, but no harm in clipping those off in an out of the way place. Bungee your compass or just clip it off (sans retractor).

Your console is fine for what you are doing. Again, if you want to go to an AI computer or just with a brass and glass SPG, that's great, but it is not anything you need to do for this class. Same same with your hoses and regs.

Lots of good advice in here, but if you're talking about AOW class in recreational gear I might treat this as aspirational rather than something you should immediately go do, unless you just have lots of spare money to drop. For now, no reason to change up your regulator set up, your console or your dive computer, unless you just want to. Jillions of people do AOW dives without making those changes or spending the coin. It will not make any meaningful difference for your class.

I'm not saying the advice is bad. To the contrary, lot of good food for thought there and I personally dive a setup very much like what is described (save the Air2, which is another debated issue and I am on the side that doesn't like them). The point is you can do a lot of streamlining without doing any of those things and you'll be just fine. If you want to go down that path because you think they are good changes for you, that's great, but don't let your class be the driver. If you are going down a technical path, then you need to talk to your instructor.

I agree with staying away from retractors. Too much dangling and entanglement issues. I used to think they were great and lived in fear of dropping something. Don't worry about it. Ditch them.

Just get away from danglies. Simple bolt snap attachments for your gear with bungee or rubber band/inner tube to hold them down.

Use your pockets for your slate. SMB and spool too, but no harm in clipping those off in an out of the way place. Bungee your compass or just clip it off (sans retractor).

Your console is fine for what you are doing. Again, if you want to go to an AI computer or just with a brass and glass SPG, that's great, but it is not anything you need to do for this class. Same same with your hoses and regs.
Tons of people do AOW in regular current fashion recreational gear, probably 99% of them.
But he came here and asked how to streamline it down, so....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom