Are arms positively buoyant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting..... yeap, i get the point of the impact of what you wear or what you are grabbing... interesting.

I thought arms were heavy as the head, which usually is wrapped with neoprene, but it's clearly negative impacting a lot in your trim.

The OP talked about extending their arms out front, and that is what I would define as weird. I'm picturing superman style (probably the opposite of what you are talking about doing.) Out there they're in the way of seeing things, easier to hit things, inconvenient to look at anything on your wrist, and far away from the inflator and everything else you might want to get at.

I imagine this is what he's talking about.
TRIM copy.jpg

They can be rather buoyant when the drysuit sleeves are filled with gas.

I think the question is only about "naked" arms. Pretty much everything is positive or at least neutral if covered by exposure suit, hood, gloves, etc.
I don't think I agree that most body parts themselves are relatively neutral. As mentioned, my legs sure are not.

The only part of a human that is positively buoyant are the parts with air. Your arms are bone wrapped in a meat sandwich. Your legs are also bones in a meat sandwich. Your lungs fill with air and provide buoyancy. If you wrap them in floaty stuff they can float. In fresh water you are more sinky. In sea water you are more floaty. In the salt lakes you can be super floaty.

without a wetsuit your arms are probably slightly negative (may very based on body type), but wetsuit arms can be floaty. when diving wet with a single tank i keep my hands by my waist, but with doubles and especially a drysuit i keep my arms out. its convenient since my compass, computer and light are on my arms.

I have actually used a lot with new divers (my wife, daughter and countless folks on bonaire boat dives) a suggestion of holding their hands in front of their chest under their chin to stop the vertical paddle pose.

Its a quick fix when it gets weight up front especially for folks with jacket bcds.

People quickly figure out they don't have to do it, but it will get folks off vertical quick.

I've just read arms are positive buoyant when i used to think they were negative, so extend them out front to get trimmed when my head try to go up (I was thinking i the gravity impact) so.... It seems I was doing the wrong thing? what about legs?

Bare arms and legs are negative. They are muscle and bone, so there's no way for them to float. If you add neoprene, it adds some buoyancy depending on the thickness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom