Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, do you guys plan to share GPS coordinates for all those other sites so that the other dive operations can find them? Or are you just going to take advantage of the situation to enhance your bottom line?
That's a really ignorant statement. Why would Aldora release the coordinates for the sites it had spent the time and energy to develop? Apparently, nobody else thought this would be a valuable activity.

A patent protects the owner of an invention for some period of time so they can recoup costs and yes, even turn a profit after putting in what is sometimes a great deal of time and effort into whatever it is they are requesting the exclusive right to market.

It wouldn't be fair if someone devoted all their resources to a particular project and others who have done no work whatsoever, turn a profit due to the efforts of others.
You're confusing patents with trade secrets. The price for patent protection is public disclosure. The owner of a trade secret can have it for as long as he can keep it secret. I doubt these secret dive sites will stay secret long if competitors are interested in finding them.

That's a really ignorant statement. Why would Aldora release the coordinates for the sites it had spent the time and energy to develop? Apparently, nobody else thought this would be a valuable activity.

With today's technology all it takes is a calm day and a drone with on board GPS to fly around and look for potential new sites surrounding the island. There has been no need to do so (until now) because there was nothing wrong with the numerous sites that have been known for decades (until they are closed). I am certain there are other sites to dive but your're working your way down the food chain from the best sites that are being closed and increasing risk diving in the Carribean's strongest currents that offer a trip north into the great blue if you get separated from the group/boat. That isn't worth the risk in my opinion as 24 hours from separation I don't care to be a soccer ball floating in a search area the size of Texas waiting to be found. There are other destinations like Roatan and Bonair that don't present that, haven't closed their reefs to divers, and have yet to be impacted by this disease. May as well dive the Bahamas if you want to see sub-standard dive sites without the expense of flying to Coz and without the risk those fast currents present further north on Coz.

The bottom line is the Mexican authorities' decision to close these reefs to divers for 3 months under the guise that some "study" will take place is nothing more than a diversion from the real problem and it is a problem they and to date scientists can't solve but only study. When politicians stare in the face of the inevitable they have to do something that shows they are taking some sort of action and usually that action is one that impacts their revenue stream the least. So, let's close some reefs to divers and "give them a break" for 3 months. What is that going to accomplish? Nothing. Reefs develop over 100's and 1000's of years and Cozumel's reefs have been one of the shining stars in the Caribbean (and also one of the most heavily dived) for decades without displaying any significant stress due to divers. This new coral disease shows up and LET'S BLAME THE DIVERS. This is just more screwed up Mexican government BS and I am sure the locals know it. The old locals know the government destroyed their way of life on the island when the massive cruise ports went in and they were promised new roads, new schools, modern infrastructure, higher wages, etc. all of which never happened.

Site coordinates will get out. If I want GPS coordinates for a site, I take a photo with my iPhone wherever I am. The GPS chip works even if I don't have cell service. I got an app. off Apple's App Store that let's me get the GPS coordinates from the photo.

You don't need a drone or unusual dedicated device. Just a customer with a smart phone who likes logging his dives in a computer-based log system, and likes the ap. to put a little 'flag' in the spots he's been.

That said, if I were diving sites that'd been largely ignored until obviously more preferred southern sites got closed, I might wonder why these 'other' sites hadn't been used much before, and Aldora's big 120-cf tanks offer extra air/nitrox...which might be nice diving 'off the beaten path.' And if their staff found sites, I imagine their dive guides will have the best knowledge of how to lead divers there...at least for awhile.

Richard.

That is very fatalistic philosophy, are you suggesting that no one should take an action that might reverse the course we are on?

I think what he's saying, and I completely agree with, is unless people want to 1. cut the population by a lottery, or something else....and/or 2. stop using fossil fuels, then just save it. The single BEST thing that could happen to the earth, right now, is for it to run OUT of oil...PERIOD. All the ******** that people are quote 'doing' to help the world, in most cases, is about as worthwhile as pissing onto a glacier to melt it. Everything we eat, use, warm/cool ourselves with, etc, is from at some point FOSSIL FUELS. If fossil fuels were to cease say...tomorrow, it would actually create a much level playing field world wide in the economic sense. People would have no choice than to buy local, things would be much more labor intensive, and everyone would go back to work. It would be kind of cool actually. Until then...well we'll just have to wait and see.

2 leads to 1. Fossil fuels isn’t just gas. No fossil fuel means no petroleum based fertilizer, leading to loss of food productivity in marginal areas. Even if there is a surplus elsewhere, no fuel for transport. No plastics, so no capacity to factory produce medicine or vaccines. Essentially we’re looking at disease and famine in many areas of the world.

Today we have learned that Aldora has a dive puppy:

upload_2019-9-25_19-18-55.png

Perhaps we will soon learn that in conjunction with dive trips, Aldora will also offer skeet shooting at drones.

Those two things make it worth going to Cozumel for.

Others may be able to confirm but this video was supposedly taken in the Dominican Republic with the onset of the first heavy rains during the rainy season. It all ends up in the ocean. So, if you think sipping from paper straws instead of plastic makes a difference you should consider what is going on in 3rd world countries.

<Personal attack deleted by Moderator>

I think what he's saying, and I completely agree with, is unless people want to 1. cut the population by a lottery, or something else....and/or 2. stop using fossil fuels, then just save it. The single BEST thing that could happen to the earth, right now, is for it to run OUT of oil...PERIOD. All the ******** that people are quote 'doing' to help the world, in most cases, is about as worthwhile as pissing onto a glacier to melt it. Everything we eat, use, warm/cool ourselves with, etc, is from at some point FOSSIL FUELS. If fossil fuels were to cease say...tomorrow, it would actually create a much level playing field world wide in the economic sense. People would have no choice than to buy local, things would be much more labor intensive, and everyone would go back to work. It would be kind of cool actually. Until then...well we'll just have to wait and see.
DON'T PISS ONTO GLACIERS!! They're having a hard enough time already.

Someone has to insert the gallows humor into this crappy situation I'm sure was caused by someone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom