Lion and Wings charge for checked baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it depends who you get. If they throw you the book, the excess baggage on the spot is a lot more than prepaid excess.

I bought 30kg for Wings between MOF and LBJ. I want to say it was as much as my flight, about $40. My Batik flight came with 20kg but I paid for an extra 10kg at a steep price of $64. That was prepaid! I guess I'd rather prepay than the risk of getting gouged if they throw me the book.

Garuda is easy...20kg free, plus an extra 23kg for dive gear. I usually stay around 23kg, maybe slightly more by 1-2kg. It has never been an issue since that is also their published rule.

I might be lucky to have a loosey-goosey attitude check-in counter agent. However, he did weigh in all of the 6 dive bags, all all the numbers and then started to print all of our boarding passes and stuck all 6 bag tags on the back of my boarding pass and said “selamat jalan” without charging the total bag weights. So, I just said “Terima Kasih” & walked away to security gate. Our bags arrived with us safely in Denpasar.

I might be lucky to have a loosey-goosey attitude check-in counter agent. However, he did weigh in all of the 6 dive bags, all all the numbers and then started to print all of our boarding passes and stuck all 6 bag tags on the back of my boarding pass and said “selamat jalan” without charging the total bag weights. So, I just said “Terima Kasih” & walked away to security gate. Our bags arrived with us safely in Denpasar.

Maybe you're getting the "local discount" for the Bahasa Indonesia!

Maybe you're getting the "local discount" for the Bahasa Indonesia!

I did say that I’m the group leader & would like to take care all the bags together as a group and gave him all of our 6 passports to him. So, there may have a different rule for checking in all the bags as a group.

I did say that I’m the group leader & would like to take care all the bags together as a group and gave him all of our 6 passports to him. So, there may have a different rule for checking in all the bags as a group.

OH, yes. The weight concept. So if everyone has 20kg, one person can have a 30kg bag. For 6 people, so long as you don't exceed 120kg, everyone is fine. So if some people have a little less, some people have a little more, it's OK. That is usually when it's on one ticket, though I know sometimes they "bend" that rule with multiple people checking in under different record locator numbers/tickets.

The Lion air website allows you to prepay up to 30k. Is that one piece? Combined weight of multiple bags?

OH, yes. The weight concept. So if everyone has 20kg, one person can have a 30kg bag. For 6 people, so long as you don't exceed 120kg, everyone is fine. So if some people have a little less, some people have a little more, it's OK. That is usually when it's on one ticket, though I know sometimes they "bend" that rule with multiple people checking in under different record locator numbers/tickets.

Just got back from Raja Ampat, flying with Batik Air from Sorong to Jakarta in a group of 5 with 6 bags total weight of 110 kg at no additional over weight charge.

The Lion air website allows you to prepay up to 30k. Is that one piece? Combined weight of multiple bags?

Total weight of the checkin bags, I think.

If you go with Batik Air (Lion Air group) the 1st 20kg is free.

I carry my 10kg excess weight in 2nd carryon bag plus my backpack full of my camera & electronic gears (weighing about another 10kg).

I paid for 30 kg each from my wife and I for a Sorong-Kaimana flight. I think our total check in bags were around 64 kilos because equipment was still wet. It was checked through without an issue. I don't think it matters how many bags you are using. You are paying for weight not pieces.

I have two bags I need to check and will be about 35-38 kg combined.
If I am dinged for excess, does anyone know the per kilo fee?

I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that I've always been gouged by Lionair/Wings on excess baggage. I remember one Bali/Kaimana trip that involved 4 segments for which they wanted to charge separately. Total charges were over $300 USD for two of us with 30kg each. And this was when Lionair allowed 15kg free. I might work with a local (Indo) travel agent to see if you can purchase additional kilos of baggage. The website seems to limit you to a single purchase of 30kg per passenger, but I'd bet an agent could buy additional kilos. At least that way you won't be at the mercy of the check in counter agent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom