Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't that video a few posts ago show this thing on the east coast of florida, started where the cruise ships go in and out? Ironic...

Reactions: JFS
WOW - so you don't think dive and snorkel ops should have had preference? Chuck, you don't speak Spanish and you just moved to the island and don't work in the diving industry, you could have waited to get the information along with all of the other divers.

I know of a few well respected operators that were there on time but denied entry.

Sorry Jen, Chuck and others - but I think those with vested interest should have had priority to get a seat. Each shop should be responsible for letting their divers know what the outcome was etc. especially for those who don't even speak Spanish - if you don't even understand what is being said, why take a seat away from someone who NEEDED to be there? And why even be there? So you can say you were there?

Sorry Christ but your reaction to the guy that originally started this thread guaranteed my seat in that meeting. Turns out his speculation and rumors was pretty accurate other than the closing date.

Yea, I just moved here, but I think those were real dollars that got converted to pesos when I bought my house. I think those are real pesos I pay the contractors remodeling. I could have taken those dollars to any rock in the Caribbean but I choose this one namely because of the marine park. What or if I choose to invest in in the future might have an impact based on that meeting - words were just a portion of the meeting, you can’t get the feeling second hand, Facebook live or newsfeeds.

If a seat in that meeting was so dang important to you, why didn’t you show up earlier? Heck I was running late and left my house just before 12:45, stopped at the other house to get my ID - I wasn’t camped in line for a seat and they didn’t ask to see marine park cards. You had to know it was going to be packed.

And my Spanish, while it certainly is lacking, I understood plenty during the presentation, it was the questions that I couldn’t completely make out and my friend next to me filled in the gaps.

I wonder if that was by design? Encourage lots of people to turn out early so there aren't many park permit holders in there to ask the tough questions? Or maybe I am just wearing a tin foil hat tonight...

Also, this leak Friday and subsequent discussion was criticized by some but without it, would this meeting have been a quiet announcement in front of a handful of people because the vast majority did not know it was coming?

In July CONANP Cozumel announced that they were contemplating closing part of the marine park. I knew 2 months ago that they were planning something.

I wonder if that was by design? Encourage lots of people to turn out early so there aren't many park permit holders in there to ask the tough questions? Or maybe I am just wearing a tin foil hat tonight...

Also, this leak Friday and subsequent discussion was criticized by some but without it, would this meeting have been a quiet announcement in front of a handful of people because the vast majority did not know it was coming?

I wasn't up in arms about this being leaked on Friday or even necessarily discussed. I think it concerns everyone. I was concerned that information posted in our private ANOAAT Members chat group was quoted word for word in this original post - which makes me wonder what other confidential info is shared with Gary (gopbroek). We (dive ops) literally only found out about this on Thursday or Friday.

And yes, I think you're wearing a tin foil hat tonight - haha!

Shake your head all you want. One fight at least started to break out. I know the guy that seperated them. Maybe you were inside when it happened. IDK. You know some people WITH park permits couldn't get in for lack of room....

Sure maybe the cops where there because hey you know there was a lot of emotion. You know, in case fights broke out or something...

I don't know what to tell ya. It was a very calm meeting - the doors were open - if you've been to the planetarium you know it's a small building - and the outside area in the foyer right outside the doors, there seemed to be no commotion. Other than the loud booing that started when people arrived after the meeting started and could not get in. So maybe that was it. So they stopped and got the AV equipment set up and the meeting started back up.
BTW, when I got there 15 minutes before the meeting, there were still a ton of seats available for people. They could have easily gotten in and been on time like the rest. I was there for a friend with a marine park permit who was out of town. Hope that flies for you.

This meeting was very calm and very respectful.
Of course, I have seen other heated debates - but that was not the case yesterday.
Again, I can only say what I saw with my own eyes and heard with my little ears. ;-)

Sorry Christ but your reaction to the guy that originally started this thread guaranteed my seat in that meeting. Turns out his speculation and rumors was pretty accurate other than the closing date.

Yea, I just moved here, but I think those were real dollars that got converted to pesos when I bought my house. I think those are real pesos I pay the contractors remodeling. I could have taken those dollars to any rock in the Caribbean but I choose this one namely because of the marine park. What or if I choose to invest in in the future might have an impact based on that meeting - words were just a portion of the meeting, you can’t get the feeling second hand, Facebook live or newsfeeds.

If a seat in that meeting was so dang important to you, why didn’t you show up earlier? Heck I was running late and left my house just before 12:45, stopped at the other house to get my ID - I wasn’t camped in line for a seat and they didn’t ask to see marine park cards. You had to know it was going to be packed.

And my Spanish, while it certainly is lacking, I understood plenty during the presentation, it was the questions that I couldn’t completely make out and my friend next to me filled in the gaps.

I wasn't up in arms about this being leaked on Friday or even necessarily discussed. I think it concerns everyone and of course it was never intended to be kept secret. My concern was that information posted in our private ANOAAT Members chat group was quoted word for word in this original post - which makes me wonder what other confidential info is shared with Gary (gopbroek).

And of course his info was accurate, it came from the ANOAAT President as soon as he was aware of it and shared it with us - I never said it wasn't accurate.

Finally, read it again. I didn't say you took my seat - I was not on the island. But I know others who could not get in.

I wasn't up in arms about this being leaked on Friday or even necessarily discussed. I think it concerns everyone. I was concerned that information posted in our private ANOAAT Members chat group was quoted word for word in this original post - which makes me wonder what other confidential info is shared with Gary (gopbroek). We (dive ops) literally only found out about this on Thursday or Friday.

And yes, I think you're wearing a tin foil hat tonight - haha!

Busted!

That is a shame - I think those affected - ie: dive/snorkel operators should have been permitted entry FIRST before the general public who have no vested interest. I was off island Monday so couldn't personally attend, but I would have been PISSED if I couldn't get in and island residents with no vested interest were in there. That was poorly handled.
When I got there at 12:45 there were plenty of seats available and wasn't full until after the meeting time. I was there for Jorge who had to be out of town yesterday, Christi.

Again, I can only say what I saw with my own eyes and heard with my little ears. ;-)

I’m not doubting what you saw inside. I’m only saying what happened outside. :wink:

I wasn't up in arms about this being leaked on Friday or even necessarily discussed. I think it concerns everyone and of course it was never intended to be kept secret. My concern was that information posted in our private ANOAAT Members chat group was quoted word for word in this original post - which makes me wonder what other confidential info is shared with Gary (gopbroek).

And of course his info was accurate, it came from the ANOAAT President as soon as he was aware of it and shared it with us - I never said it wasn't accurate - that was @JenLoves2Dive

Finally, read it again. I didn't say you took my seat - I was not on the island. But I know others who could not get in.

I can see where it can be a big problem if your members cannot discuss things privately without worry of it being made public. The result will be people just won't say anything at all. And then new ideas (and solutions) don't get implemented.

To be fair to Jen, I didn't think she specifically said this leak was inaccurate just a general note of caution because leaks are often inaccurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom