Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I have the oval system but the virgo essentially makes it round again. Really frustrated with these.
Try changing the O-rings that is under the lock ring and do you hear or feel them click when you lock them?

Actually this should probably be moved out of the waterproof section.

Try changing the O-rings that is under the lock ring and do you hear or feel them click when you lock them?

Actually this should probably be moved out of the waterproof section.

I agree this is not a Waterproof brand issue but a Si-tech brand issue....but they are both Swedish companies so who knows...and a great deal of the posts in this thread already have nothing specifically related to Waterproof and their Ultima dryglove system but is instead about SHOWA gloves, more specifically how awesome the 720 gloves are...then there was the foray into the topic of undergloves/glove liners, etc....so no big deal, if Waterproof doesnt like it they are free to moderate it out.

The seals look like they are attached correctly.

Changing the o-ring will have no effect as it does not seal the ring to the suit....it seals the ring to the glove ring.

OP, carefully remove the virgo and wrist seals and cafefully stretch the area of the seal where it sandwiches between the virgo and the PU ring and look for tiny slits/cuts in the silicone seal. My wife was getting a wet arm in her usia suit with si-tech quick cuff round wrist system and we found that the seals had small cuts in them in the area i mentioned. Taking the system apart can cause cuts to form as one side is stressed/pinched as the ring is pryed/pushed out. I have found that smearing silocone grease on the portion of the seal that is sandwiched between the two rings greatly enhances the ease the seals and ring installs and i have found it protects the seal by allowing it to slide into place easier during install.

If that is not the issue then check the ridge in the PU ring for damage as well, along with the surface of the blue part of the virgo ring that is pressed into the PU ring.

I hope that helps.

Regarding the ellipse system...i dont think they fit any tighter in the PU ring than the virgo system. We have not dived with them yet...most likely this weekend....so I cant comment yet on the watertightness of the ellipse system.

I can however say that my Waterproof Ultima system has been 100% dry 100% of the times I have dived with it. It is strong, robust, simple to use, a slight pain to mount gloves on the glove rings but a slightly stretchier o-ring would easily solve that, it is reliable and comfortable and is designed to work directly with the PU ring installed for the QCS oval cuff/seal system.

-Z

I agree this is not a Waterproof brand issue but a Si-tech brand issue....but they are both Swedish companies so who knows...and a great deal of the posts in this thread already have nothing specifically related to Waterproof and their Ultima dryglove system but is instead about SHOWA gloves, more specifically how awesome the 720 gloves are...then there was the foray into the topic of undergloves/glove liners, etc....so no big deal, if Waterproof doesnt like it they are free to moderate it out.

The seals look like they are attached correctly.

Changing the o-ring will have no effect as it does not seal the ring to the suit....it seals the ring to the glove ring.

OP, carefully remove the virgo and wrist seals and cafefully stretch the area of the seal where it sandwiches between the virgo and the PU ring and look for tiny slits/cuts in the silicone seal. My wife was getting a wet arm in her usia suit with si-tech quick cuff round wrist system and we found that the seals had small cuts in them in the area i mentioned. Taking the system apart can cause cuts to form as one side is stressed/pinched as the ring is pryed/pushed out. I have found that smearing silocone grease on the portion of the seal that is sandwiched between the two rings greatly enhances the ease the seals and ring installs and i have found it protects the seal by allowing it to slide into place easier during install.

If that is not the issue then check the ridge in the PU ring for damage as well, along with the surface of the blue part of the virgo ring that is pressed into the PU ring.

I hope that helps.

Regarding the ellipse system...i dont think they fit any tighter in the PU ring than the virgo system. We have not dived with them yet...most likely this weekend....so I cant comment yet on the watertightness of the ellipse system.

I can however say that my Waterproof Ultima system has been 100% dry 100% of the times I have dived with it. It is strong, robust, simple to use, a slight pain to mount gloves on the glove rings but a slightly stretchier o-ring would easily solve that, it is reliable and comfortable and is designed to work directly with the PU ring installed for the QCS oval cuff/seal system.

-Z
My bad, he did say the leak was at the base of the system not with the gloves end, forgot that part.

Are you using silicone or latex seals?

Sweet!

Looking forward to the review and direct comparison with the 720s.

Are you using silicone or latex seals?

Silicone seals. Thanks all. I will check for leaks. I changed to new seals right before my last test dive so if I do have tears this system is crazy easy to tear. I will also check for damage as suggested. Glad to hear they work well for everyone else. I have read nothing but good things. Just frustrating to be the 1% that has the issue. Hoping to find a solution.

Showa 379 early report;
I'll get them in the water tomorrow if the ocean allows us in. For today, I mounted the new gloves to my Ultima rings. The gloves are size XXL, making them a bit easier to mount than other sizes, but these seemed even easier than the 720s. The first glove took thirty seconds to mount onto the ring. The second one was faster. If these stay dry, I will probably order a backup pair tomorrow.

Showa 379 early report;
I'll get them in the water tomorrow if the ocean allows us in. For today, I mounted the new gloves to my Ultima rings. The gloves are size XXL, making them a bit easier to mount than other sizes, but these seemed even easier than the 720s. The first glove took thirty seconds to mount onto the ring. The second one was faster. If these stay dry, I will probably order a backup pair tomorrow.

USONUVABEECH....the way you easily sliped that glove on that ring.

But wait, didn't you once write that you swapped o-rings from the Ultimas with the o-rings from your Diving Concepts system because they were stretchier/easier to install on the Ultima rings?

-Z

Silicone seals. Thanks all. I will check for leaks. I changed to new seals right before my last test dive so if I do have tears this system is crazy easy to tear. I will also check for damage as suggested. Glad to hear they work well for everyone else. I have read nothing but good things. Just frustrating to be the 1% that has the issue. Hoping to find a solution.

I've been wanting to reply on this for two days... Slammed at work.

Firstly, you're doing great to leak test your suit, but there's a better, more reliable way. I'll make a video at some point when I've got a leak that needs to be diagnosed, but meanwhile, here's the process:

In short, the suit needs to be tested inside-out - because the problem isn't that you've got air leaking out, it's that you've got water coming IN. Often times a hole in a suit will only flow in one direction - it'll close in the other direction. Thus, any leak tests of air flowing OUT of the suit may or may not be accurate.

1. Remove the inflator valve from the suit and install it backwards. The button should be mounted on the inside, and the vent/filter should be mounted on the outside.

2. Block the wrists. I like to snap on my drygloves, but if you don't wear drygloves (yet), cups or soup cans work fine.

3. Turn the suit inside-out. Do the best that you can with the boots, if your suit is equipped with them.

4. Place the suit on it's back in the grass.

5. Put a scuba tank inside the suit with the valve sticking out of the neck hole. The neck seal should seal around the scuba tank. Zip the suit up. It's a little complicated to do with the zipper pull now located inside the suit, but you can do it if you're patient.

6. Connect your first stage to the tank and to the inflator valve. Inflate the suit. I like to run some painter's tape around the neck seal to help keep the pressure inside the suit high.

7. Use a spray bottle filled with soapy water on the area that you suspect is leaking. You'll see bubbles where the leak is. Mark the leak with a grease pen or magic marker.

8. Cleaning up is easy... Rinse with a hose, open the suit and disassemble the tank and regulator. Hang inside-out to dry overnight. Once dry, turn rightside-out again, reverse the inflator valve, and hang to dry the outside of the suit.

9. Develop a solution to fix the leak.

This procedure is the ONLY way that I've been able to reliably find water leaking INTO the suit.

Back
Top Bottom