Louisiana man dies during underwater proposal in Tanzania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

АлександрД

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
https://nypost.com/2019/09/21/louisiana-man-dies-during-underwater-proposal-in-tanzania/
American drowns after proposing to his girlfriend underwater in Tanzania - CNN
US man drowns during underwater marriage proposal at Tanzanian resort
‘The cruellest twist of fate:’ Woman says boyfriend died after underwater marriage proposal
upload_2019-9-22_14-55-6.png

Steven Weber Jr.
A dream vacation turned into the stuff of nightmares when a man died while proposing to his girlfriend underwater, according to a report.

Steven Weber Jr. and Kenesha Antoine were vacationing in Tanzania and staying in an overwater bungalow with a bedroom submerged in the sea when Weber Jr. popped the question early Friday, the Louisiana Advocate reported.

A video Antoine posted to Facebook shows him swimming up to the bedroom window with a plastic-wrapped note and a ring box.

“I can’t hold my breath long enough to tell you everything I love about you,” the note read. “BUT . . . everything I love about you I love more EVERY DAY!

190921132330-03-tanzania-us-man-proposal-drowns-scli-intl-exlarge-169.jpg

“Will you please be my WIFE? Marry me??”

Antoine can be heard laughing with excitement in the background.

Wearing a snorkeling mask and fins, Weber Jr. is seen swimming back up to the surface, but he never made it to the top, Antoine said.

“You never emerged from those depths, so you never got to hear my answer, ‘Yes! Yes! A million times, yes, I will marry you!!'” Antoine wrote in the heart-wrenching social media post. “We never got to embrace and celebrate the beginning of the rest of our lives together, as the best day of our lives turned into the worst, in the cruelest twist of fate imaginable.”

The post shows the couple in happier moments on their trip: during a safari with a giraffe in the backdrop and giving their Facebook friends a tour of their tropical abode.

It’s unclear how Weber Jr., a residential assistant at an addiction rehab center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, died.
upload_2019-9-22_14-53-23.png

Such a beautiful couple who might have had a beautiful life. Reminds me of a bit of Edgar Allen Poe:

And neither the angels Heaven above
Nor the demons down under the sea
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul.

Anyone know the depth he had to descend to to get to the window? Sad watching the actual video...

Anyone know the depth he had to descend to to get to the window? Sad watching the actual video...

From one of the linked stories...

11536494-3x2-940x627.jpg

doesn't look very deep.

He certainly told the truth right until the end.

ouch

Shallow water blackout, or trapped under the deck? I’m sure he pushed his breath holding abilities to the limit, and had no margin for error. And most certainly no buddy or safety diver.

If that picture is right, shouldn't SWBO from that depth. Could go plain hypoxic, but without some freediving training (or quite a few all-inclusive tanzanian tonics) it's kinda hard to hold your breath long enough. Hit his head on the deck on the way up hard enough to breathe in water maybe? Gotta wonder how wide that deck is, would it qualify for overhead environment?

Hit his head on the deck on the way up hard enough to breathe in water maybe? Gotta wonder how wide that deck is, would it qualify for overhead environment?

That's what I'm thinking. In the video, he's starting up, but if he was essentially at the end of his breath hold and came up fast, he might have misjudged the width of the deck and either hit his head (possibly knocking him unconscious), or got stuck under the deck. Tragic under any circumstance, but especially this one.

Well, Darwin Awards are there for a reason...

Generally I agree with those comments but looking at the setup it is not clear that this would qualify as an actually dumb thing to do, provided one kept some situational awareness.

From the picture of the boat, seas may not be that calm which can increase the chance of running into the boat/deck.

Back
Top Bottom