Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waiting to hear back from my usual Showa supplier about getting my hands on these, they look and sound exactly like what I need.
I ordered a pair of XXL for me and a large pair for Merry from SafetyCompany.com. They shipped one pair today and the other is backordered for three weeks. :(
I hope my pair comes first so I can write a review.

Noob question:

I have a Bare Trilam suit that I had a very reputable shop install the SI Tech Virgo system (oval rings + gloves). I have dove the suit 10 times without a single dry dive. The suit is leaking at the cuffs. I have tried new seals and the shop leak tested with passing results. Still no dry dives. Both arms soaked.

So here is what I have deduced. The leak test fills the suit with air which is the opposite kind of pressure the suit sees at depth. Instead I inflated the suit with plugs (drinking cups and cooking bowel) at the wrist and neck. Then dunked the arms with silicone seals installed but no glove attached in my bath tub. So far the suit holds pressure and not bubbles or leaks. Then I squeezed the wrist about 1-2" inches behind the cuff to simulate the pressure at depth. Sure enough a flood of bubbles came from the cuff. Same thing on both arms. Essentially the torque at the wrist is unsealing around the cuff. I don't see how this design works in any suit unless you have 5" thick wrists.

Now I know these seem to work for everyone else so something is wrong here. Short of installing hose clamps on the outside of my suit to maintain that seal what can I do. I have a video of all this I could share over a PM if anyone has some constructive suggestions.

Is the leak between the Virgo and the soft ring (PU ring) glued into your suit or between the PU ring and the suit sleeve?

My wife had a set of virgos on her suit....she did not use it with the glove side attached but diving the wrist side with wet gloves her suit stayed dry.

She didn't like the bulk of the Virgo system so I recently replaced it with Fourth Element's Ellipse dryglove system...actually purchased 2 sets of the Ellipse system and am drafting a review to post here on SB....should be able to dive with them this weekend.

But if the leak is between the sleeve and the PU ring, no dryglove system will be able to fix that. So please inspect your suit and let us know. You can also pm me the video if you would like.

-Z

One thing I noticed about the PU rings that came with the Virgo system installed in my wife's suit is that they are a bit narrower across the width of their circumference than the PU rings that came with the oval system installed in my Aqualung Fusion suit.

This causes the Virgo, Ellipse, and Ultima cuff side rings to extend past the PU ring in the cuff of the sleeve. My wife has not bad any issue caused by this (yet?) but it is a peculiarity that I noticed.

-Z

I tried it both ways and it was worse in the middle notch. The virgo manual shows it past the last notch.

I tried it both ways and it was worse in the middle notch. The virgo manual shows it past the last notch.

You’re right, I’ve used it both ways but had better success in the middle notch, never a leak if I didn’t pinch the liner into the sealing area.

The SiTech Virgo glove system is round... Not oval. Here's a video:

Is this what you have, or do you have the oval cuffs? The oval cuffs are called "QCS" by SiTech, but some manufacturers call them the "Antares" system, since the Antares glove rings are what matches the oval cuffs.

Yes, I have the oval system but the virgo essentially makes it round again. Really frustrated with these.

Is the leak between the Virgo and the soft ring (PU ring) glued into your suit or between the PU ring and the suit sleeve?

My wife had a set of virgos on her suit....she did not use it with the glove side attached but diving the wrist side with wet gloves her suit stayed dry.

She didn't like the bulk of the Virgo system so I recently replaced it with Fourth Element's Ellipse dryglove system...actually purchased 2 sets of the Ellipse system and am drafting a review to post here on SB....should be able to dive with them this weekend.

But if the leak is between the sleeve and the PU ring, no dryglove system will be able to fix that. So please inspect your suit and let us know. You can also pm me the video if you would like.

-Z

I had not heard of these? Looks like they will work with the QCS oval PUs that we're installed on my suit? Perhaps these would seal better and would not leak like the Virgo system does. Do you think they have a more positive seal than the virgo ring did?

Ellipse Dryglove System - Fourth Element

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom