Fiji and Tonga trip report - August 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Nai’a no longer does the Tonga whale trip. I believe that the Tongan government will no longer permit foreign boats to do whale watching trips.

that's a bad news . It was my best trip ever ( last august 2018 ) .
Do you know the exactly the reason why Naia has no longer the permit ? Other boat now in place of that ?

From what I was told on my recent trip to French Polynesia, there are really only three spots where swimming with humpbacks is advertised - Western Australia, Tonga, and Moorea. The first being cooler water and less stellar viz, the second having the best whale action but being the hardest to get to, and the third is accessible and has good conditions but fewer whales and management of tours seems to be on the "honor system" only with no cap on the number of operators.

The operator I went with on Moorea was considering pulling out of whale tours to focus on sharks as the number of boats has gone up exponentially in the past few years, jumping by over 50% in 2019 alone to 33 boats. We got some good encounters, but some of our best happened when our strategy of "get out early and stay out past lunch" paid off and it was just 3-6 of us in the water plus a guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom