Dive Flag Needed for Shore Dives Brockville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 4 dives scheduled from Brockville, I just like to look stuff up before I go.

I'm sure they'll have a say, but I agree better to be safe than sushi.

Good day, heading to Canada this weekend, looking to see if dive flags are needed / required / law for shore dives?

Looking to do some simple dives in Brockville. I'm taking a flag, just want to know what the laws are. I can't find anything definitive online (I may not be looking in the right place though!)

What Brockville shore dives are you doing this weekend? I should be around that area. We use a DSMB at the end of our dives but a surface flag or float is not obligatory. If you do have one the boats are obliged to stay away though.

I have 4 dives scheduled from Brockville, I just like to look stuff up before I go.

I'm sure they'll have a say, but I agree better to be safe than sushi.

Rob...

Read the attached document which was published in 2006 following the 2004 Aviva Barth student diver fatality in Barrie Ontario...

I can find nothing that this ''proposal'' was ever updated...I suspect it was not...

There is however common sense...and best ''safe'' practices...especially in all areas where there is ''any'' boat traffic...

The Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations for Diving Operations does have regulated surface marker requirements...however this Act/Regulation...applies to Commercial Diving operations...which is in force to protect ''workers''...it does not cover sport divers...

Best...

Warren...

Attachments

• Sport Diver Safety.pdf
    846 KB · Views: 146
What Brockville shore dives are you doing this weekend? I should be around that area. We use a DSMB at the end of our dives but a surface flag or float is not obligatory. If you do have one the boats are obliged to stay away though.

I think the wall and something else? If I'm being honest, I dont think we'll do 2, but at least the wall.

Rob...

Read the attached document which was published in 2006 following the 2004 Aviva Barth student diver fatality in Barrie Ontario...

I can find nothing that this ''proposal'' was ever updated...I suspect it was not...

There is however common sense...and best ''safe'' practices...especially in all areas where there is ''any'' boat traffic...

Best...

Warren...

Thank you, much appreciated!!

we always use one in the channel I dive at the facility 50% ignore or don't know what it is .....I don't HAVE TO USE IT I just do

I think the wall and something else? If I'm being honest, I dont think we'll do 2, but at least the wall.

Nice! I think we are diving centeen on sunday.

Aviva Barth student diver fatality in Barrie Ontario was one of the most terrible gruesome diving accident ever experienced.
The accident made SoCal news and was discussed in all the diving circles

SDM

Then there are the boat drivers and jet ski drivers that like to use diver down flags as markers for turning.

I use the term drivers not pilots on purpose as these folks have zero dive flag awareness.

Check with Michael Pinault at Undirworld in Brockville. Super nice guy and expert in local diving there.

we always use one in the channel I dive at the facility 50% ignore or don't know what it is .....I don't HAVE TO USE IT I just do
I live and dive on the St Lawrence, definitely use a flag at all times!!! Some of the least informed boat/jet ski operators to be found!! Have been "buzzed" more than once. However, at Centeen I have observed a few with no flags, and was informed, this whole area is flagged off to traffic. I would not trust that, but there are those that will. I also look at the bad side, getting lost and wandering out of a protected area, but that is just me. The vis is still sketchy at times.

Back
Top Bottom