How much air does an LP85 hold at 2400 PSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that the OP should be able to look at the stamped marking on the tanks to determine the size. All 4 of my Faber LPs have BS85 or BS95 stamped on them.
That's a Blue Steel marking, not a Faber marking.

How is that relevant? Are tanks only filled to the service pressure correctly if they are stamped in metric units now? Do you get a better fill if you use the real SI unit for pressure of megapascals?

If euro tanks were sold as 2500 liters, 3000 liters, etc then it would be a direct comparison to CF ratings. the liter ratings are just as unreliable as CF because you fail to account for compressibility still.

It's relevant because it's just as pointless as using cuft as a basis of measurement. A cuft rating means nothing without pressure, so you have to do math anyway to actually figure out how much breathable volume you have so you might as well do it the easy way, and the one that translates across the board for all of your diving calculations.

cubic feet is a direct representation of stored gas volume whereas water capacity is not

if you are calculating reserves, you still have to deal with pressure calculations either way

cubic feet is a direct representation of stored gas volume
No, it' isn't. It's surface gas volume.

BTW, how do you calculate min gas pressure with an imperial sized tank? Here's how I do it with a metric sized tank:

My gas consumption (call it whatever you want, but let's avoid yet another RMV vs SAC debacle) is between 15 and 20 liters per minute. Actual liters at ambient pressure. I'll use 20 as my number, both because it's conservative and because it makes for easy math.

An ascent from 30m (4 bara) at 10 m/min takes 3 minutes, average depth is 15m (2.5 bara). That's 20 times 3 times 2.5, or 90 surface liters.
Add one minute at depth to sort things out, that's 20 times 1 times 4, 80 surface liters.
Since I've been rather deep I prefer to make a safety stop. 3 minutes at 5m/1.5 bara is another 90 surface liters. So at my normal breathing rate I need 260 surface liters for my ascent.
But I'm calculating for an incident, so my buddy will also need gas. That takes me to 520. And we'll probably be a mite stressed, so I'm going to assume a doubled gas consumption rate. That's 1040 surface liters.

With my 10L tank, 1040 surface liters is 104 bar, add 10 bar to have a working 1st stage and my min gas pressure at 30m is 115 bar.
With a 12, 1040 surface liters is about 85 bar, add those 10 bar reserve and call it an even 100.
With a 15, 1040 surface liters is 70 bar, add those 10 bar reserve and I should leave the bottom with at least 80 bar left in my tank.

Perhaps with the exception of that last division by 12 or 15, I can do those calcs in my head.

when you do the calculation in liters, you are using surface gas volume also. only difference is doing the calculation in liters or cf. doing the calculation for 0.5 cf/min is not that much harder than your 15 liters.

doing the calculation for 0.5 cf/min is not that much harder than your 15 liters.
I've showed you mine, what about you showing me yours?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom