Vent....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have to whine a bit because this long weekend has been such a bust. No dive shop has run for our four possible dive days, so we are trying to make the most of it, but I swear, every tour option around here must cater to the lowest common denominator! We can’t get a snorkel boat to the closer reef. We can’t even rent kayaks in Pennekamp! We are whitewater paddlers for goodness sake, I think we can handle some wind in the mangroves! I’m just beyond frustrated at the fact that everything that we want to do is shut down. Our flipping resort wouldn’t even let us take paddle boards bayside this morning! The winds aren’t even that high today! I’m really missing the anything goes vibe of our third world country dive destinations, ha!

I can highly sympathize with this. Was in West Palm Beach last week for some snorkeling and diving. Only thing I got to do was swim in the bacteria-filled "water" surrounding Phil Foster Park.

Hi @dianna912

Sorry your visit did not work out. Sometimes the conditions are good, sometimes not. I had 6 diving days planned from Sept 13-18 and only dived 3. I went from 2 of the best dives ever on the Castor on the 16th, to no dives at the same site the next day due to zero vis and ripping current. I did get in some very nice bikes rides :)

Better luck next time, Craig

Today's advisory from NOAA calls for "Small Craft Should Exercise Caution".

You may find an outfit that will rent you gear (kayak, paddle board, similar) but doesn't surprise me you got nada at Pennekamp State Park, because it is a state park. Try with a private outfit.

I do feel your frustration, it has been 2 weekends for me without diving. I'm holding my breath for this weekend coming up, looks like tomorrow night and Wednesday will be pretty good but too early to predict the weekend.

BT-DT When we were in Key Largo in Spring of '18 the water was so rough that it was down to 0-viz in the Pennekamp lagoon when my son and I were trying to do buoyancy checks. For our 3-day diving window everyone was a no-go.

Lemonade ... When we got down to KW we took the Fast-Ferry to Dry Tortugas. Fort Jefferson was fun to explore (we have a 'thing' for large stone fortifications and the like) and the snorkling was aquarium-like - Tons of fish at the coaling docks!

Reactions: Ana
That sucks.... whenever I go to the Keys, I try to have back up plans like favorite museums, restaurants, palm tree to read a book under, etc. I even know where some of the gyms are and which ones charge a minimal fee for day use. But, like you, I hate when I have to use those options since Keys are all about diving for me.

We ended up snorkeling at Pennekamp, and found a school of Tarpon, which was really fun! I haven’t free-dove in a long time, and I was impressed with how much better I am at it. :)

I once drove 15 hours to Morehead City NC for a 4-day wreck diving trip. We were blown out all 4 days. Drove back home with dry gear. It is always a risk a divers. Here in South FL it is Mid-September after all. It's the peek of this thing we call Hurricane Season. It can be flat calm and beautiful or not. It all depends

Glad to see you were able to at least get in some snorkeling. We have some fantastic snorkeling/free diving down here!

Here in South FL it is Mid-September after all. It's the peek of this thing we call Hurricane Season. It can be flat calm and beautiful or not. It all depends

On that note... It looks like tomorrow will be just right . Not sure about Sunday yet.
These are the times I wish I had a bigger boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom